Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transpose every n rows (multiple columns)

thrnma
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I go into a directory and pull all the excel files which contain a specific sheet and it puts the data in the following format

CompletionValue
Yes£100
Yes£50
No£0
CompletionValue
Yes£150
Yes£25
No£0
CompletionValue
Yes£300
Yes£5
No£0
CompletionValue
Yes£125
Yes£125
No£0

I would like to be able to split the data every time it gets to the title column (Completion and Value) and then copy it over to a new column, so it looks like this:

CompletionValueCompletionValueCompletionValueCompletionValue
Yes£100Yes£150Yes£300Yes£125
Yes£50Yes£25Yes£5Yes£125
No£0No£0No£0No£0

I need to do it an undefined number of times (as some months there will be 4 data sets, the next it could be 40), so ideally the workflow should be scalable.

Please can someone help me to do this?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would suggest:

jdunkerley79_0-1601632812412.png

Start with a couple of multi-row formulas to create a Group (blocks of 4) and a Row (1-4 within a Group)

Then Transpose the two fields

Make a new name which consists of Group and Field Name

Cross tab to make the table form

Sample attached

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @thrnma ,

if the number of rows does not change, you could use the Make Column tool:

2020-10-02_12-05-12.png

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hadn't seen the MakeColumns tool before - don't spend enough time in the lab!

Good solution

thrnma
7 - Meteor

@jdunkerley79 

Thank you for this. I used it to fit to my bigger data set that I am using and it split the data where I needed it to, but then it did not put the columns next to each other like in your workflow

thrnma_0-1601633594052.png

thrnma_1-1601633645350.png

thrnma_3-1601633691080.png

Instead it put the first 66 rows, then made a new column and put the next 66 rows in row 67-132 and then the next 66 rows in row 133-195.

Do you know why it has done this?

thrnma
7 - Meteor

@RolandSchubert 

Thank you for this. Is there a way that I can get it to automatically change the number of columns. In this example, I need 4 sets of columns, but do I have to manually change the number of columns in the make columns tool if I want to do it for, say, 15 columns or can I set it up to change automatically? Maybe based on how many times a word appears in a column (such as make as many columns as the word Value appears)?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

On the second Multi Row formula tool make sure Group is ticked, then I think it will work.

thrnma
7 - Meteor

@jdunkerley79 

Brilliant! That is perfect, thank you!

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@RolandSchubert — Good use of "Make Columns".  👍

Labels