Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Transpose Data

znooredeen004
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I need to transpose data in a way I'm not sure how to do in Alteryx fully. See images below:

This is what my input file looks like current:

znooredeen002_0-1613595976668.png

I need to transpose it so it looks like:

znooredeen002_1-1613596013400.png

Currently I can get it where it's one column of data, but i need to show a column for each person's name. The person's name is also included in the output because I need to then output a separate excel based on their name (this I know how to do).

I also attached an excel to look at

3 REPLIES 3
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@znooredeen004 

It's a little difficult to understand how you would get to the final output with the starting data. There's a lot of data in the final that is not contained in the initial data and vice versa. Can you explain more as to what you are wanting to do with the initial data ( I want to move this over here and this over there)?

Can you post what you have tried to do thus far in Alteryx so the Community can see your thought process?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@znooredeen004 

Hope I get you correctly.

0219-znooredeen002.PNG

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @znooredeen004 

Transpose and Crosstab used to confuse me when I was just getting started.

the way I think of them now is that transpose goes from many columns down to a name-value pair; and cross-tab is like an Excel pivot table that gets you from name-value to columns.

So, in your case, given that you want a column for each person's name - this is a good use for cross-tab once you've already got it down to one column

Labels