Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transpose Data so ID repeats but separate columns for other data

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have this attached excel file I'm working with. As you can see, the Phases and Status of are broken out into separate columns, one for each phase and each status associated. I was hoping to consolidate all of the Phases into 1 column and all of the Status columns into one other column. I've been trying to work with the Transform tool, but I must be doing something wrong. I consolidated all Phases into one column, with the ID detail repeated 4 times, which is what I want. However, when I try bringing in the Status column to do the same, I have each Phase repeat 4 times as well for each of the Status columns if that makes sense? I would like to do this similar exercise with both Date fields I have as well. I feel like this should be quite simple, but I'm having issues getting there. Anyone have any insight?

Currently Data is like thisCurrently Data is like thisTrying to get Data like thisTrying to get Data like this

6 REPLIES 6
garthheward
7 - Meteor

How are you selecting your OrgDate and Cdate values in your desired output, is it just OrgDate1 and CDate1?

And are all the Phase1, Phase2, Phase3 and Phase4 always the same?  If so, you can just keep Phase1, OrgDate1 and CDate1 using two transposes, as per the attached.

ramatp30
7 - Meteor

HI @hydrogurl01

Attached workflow could address your use case i think?

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

@ramatp30 This is exactly what I need! If I have other columns that have maybe 2 or 3 that need to be combined in one, I'm assuming I can do the same thing for those even though I'll have more renames and joins occurring for other columns? For example, in my real data I have 15 columns I am combining into one using this method. But I also have 5 separate columns that also need to be combined into one column. Can I rename those 5 columns using the same Select tools I am using for the 15 other columns and join together?

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

@garthheward The phases are not always the same, they are different in each column and for each record

ramatp30
7 - Meteor

@hydrogurl01

Yes you can do that .Please proceed :)

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

This worked perfect! Thanks so much @ramatp30!

Labels