Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance during the next 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Transpose Columns to Rows on two differenent data inputs

Highlighted
Meteoroid
I'm relatively new to Alteryx. I have two different data sets (Data #1 -2 columns and Data #2 -3 columns). I need to join the two and transpose the data to rows from columns. (Tools: transpose, join?) Thank you. Current File A States Amount CA $1 CO CT Current File B States Amount 1 Amount 2 CA $1 $5
Highlighted
Meteoroid
Sorry, I need it to look like this. State: CO CA CT Amount 1 1 Amount 2 5 Amount 3 7
Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hey KA7

It helps enormously if you could show a few rows of the inputs and the desired output.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @KA7 ,

Please see attached.

Thanks,

Mike

Highlighted
Meteoroid
Yes, I apologize for the cryptic post. I managed to join the two files and used the sum tool. After joining the two datasets, the result is 4 columns (Amounts 1-3) by 50 rows (states) and from here the transpose tool doesn't work so I must be missing something. I'm unable to attach anything right now.
Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sounds like you need to transpose and select State as your Key Column. From there you will get a name value pair that you can then concatenate the values with the summarize tool. See example that I posted above.

Highlighted
Meteoroid
Okay, the concatenate option doesn't seem to be available. This is what I was looking for but when I add it's not in the pull down menu.
Highlighted
Meteoroid
Right now, the data type is a numeric, should I change it to a string?
Highlighted
Meteoroid
After running the Transpose tool I know have the following: Throws rows for each state with the name and Value as column headers.
Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yes, the concatenate option is only available if the data type is set to string. Now that you have the name / value pair from the transpose tool, you should change the data type of value to a string and then you will be able to leverage the summarize tool in order to concatenate. Be sure to Group By state.

Labels