Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transportation/ Assignment Problem

jkgiesler
5 - Atom

My company is currently evaluating Alteryx to replace internal tools. One strong area of interest is improving our modeling/optimization process. In Alteryx I've been able to set up some simple linear programs and have gone through the optimization examples found on Github, but I am struggling when it comes to expressing more complex problems.

Has anyone had experience solving in Alteryx something like the example found on page 5-6 (book page 47-48) of this pdf: https://ampl.com/BOOK/CHAPTERS/06-tut3.pdf?

Any resources or advice would be helpful.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Welcome to the community!

Alteryx can definitely help with problems like the example you provided. Here's a link to a similar problem that was posted as a weekly challenge a while back. In the link you'll see there are many ways to achieve the desired output using Alteryx. You also have the option to execute R code within Alteryx using the R tool.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-14-Warehouse-Distribution/td-p/36743

jkgiesler
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie,

It looks to me like no one solved this challenge with the optimization tool. It is possible that you could frame this challenge as an assignment problem, but I don't think it's quite the same as the problem I'm looking to solve. A key difference here is that this challenge is trying to find a valid retail distribution, not the best valid retail distribution.

Are there other challenges that you can recommend along the lines of my question? They seem like a great way of getting familiar with the product.

jkgiesler
5 - Atom

Charlie,

I was able to get the same output as the textbook using the following workflow. I'd love some feedback on simplifying it.

Thanks!

Labels