Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Translating a Postman configuration into Alteryx - for those who know Postman

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi

The attached screen shot is of a Postman configuration that I want to translate into Alteryx, but uncertain how to make the Download tool ( if that's what I need ) carry all this information. The API in question runs a PUT method against an API to update a report residing on another server. 

Is there anyone with Postman knowledge that can look at this an perhaps offer a suggestion?

Thank you,

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This uses Oauth 2.0 for authorization so it will be a two download tool step. The first download tool will pass information to the authentication endpoint to return the Bearer token and the second download tool will use the bearer token as an Authorization header to hit the subsequent endpoint. One thing that I find helpful is to hit the "Code" button in the top right of Postman and it shows you the cURL equivalent. This tends to be easier to translate into Alteryx. 

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi Brandon,

It is a two step process, yes. But this one is a bit more complicated. Typically I would just run the Oauth API and pass in my Client ID and Client Secret keys. The return payload is the Authorization token I would then pass along to another API request with no problem.

For this particular API, in Postman, these extra parameters are passed so that the PUT method I'm using makes a config update to a report on a server. The usual Oauth API and subsequent API request are not enough. Where it concerns analytical reports, the host server wants more intell as shown in the screen shot. 

I thought I'd take a shot with the Alteryx community. If I find any answers, I'll update this thread. 

Thanks,

Chris

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Correct, I'm pointing out that if you click on the code button on the right hand side its very helpful in understanding what should be passed as headers/payload

BrandonB_0-1629921538359.png

BrandonB_1-1629921562670.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sometimes Postman does some extra things behind the scenes, but if you show the code snippet you will be able to break it down into the respective parts of the call. 

Labels