Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Translating a Formula to a Multi-Field Formula

TheGene
5 - Atom

Hi, I currently have a workflow that normalizes a data set, and then computes a % change from 2 data sets. I take the data, clean it up a little, and then generate a max, min, and average for each value. with these values, I generate a new column that is normalized.

workflow overviewworkflow overview

the formula takes each of these values from the new columns and then outputs the new normalized value in the new field. from here, I then take each one of the values calculate a percentage change of the two data sets.

formulaformula

calculated difference between 2 different data sets (left and right)

Percentage change FormulaPercentage change Formula

My dilemma is that I have to do this exact process for about 40 different columns, and figured that there's probably a better way in Alteryx using using the multi-Field Formula to do this for all 40 at once instead of doing each one manually. I just cant seem to figure it out. i'd appreciate any help!

6 REPLIES 6
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TheGene Would you be able to provide a sample dataset with the columns? 

From a high level, I would use the transform tool category (cross tab/transpose) and the mutli row formula tool to set up the logic. You want to think about your dataset in a row format rather than a columnar format. You should have a key/value pair and then apply the multi-row formula tool to apply the logic. 

Digan
Alteryx
TheGene
5 - Atom

Hey @DiganP, I appreciate the reply. Attached, I have the Alteryx workflow shown above and also some of the sample data that could be plugged in, labeled accordingly in Excel.

I'm not sure exactly how transforming (transposing) the multi row formula would help, could you elaborate a little?

Cheers.

Maureen

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TheGene Thanks for sharing the dataset. The columns don't seem to match up however. kW/ton seem to be missing.

DiganP_0-1576862709763.png

However, I did put together a sample workflow with the logic that you are looking for. Hope it helps. 

Digan
Alteryx
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TheGene ,

I have created an example simplifying your input data. The idea is to calculate everything automatically.

Let me know if this works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

This challenge allows me to use a CReW Dynamic Formula.

I simplified the workflow to just calculate the delta.

Taking data into the formula, I joined Left and Right input on record position (fast!).  Then used the name of the NUMERIC fields to calculate the difference using an expression like:

"["+name+"]" +" - [Right_"+name + "]"

You could alternatively store all of the expressions in Excel for each formula that you want to calculate.  The required fields are:

NAME|TYPE|SIZE|Expression

When incoming data meets the dynamic formula, it will calculate all of the required fields.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TheGene
5 - Atom

Thanks! all the responses were different ways to get to the same path, but this one was the most dynamic. Much appreciated!

Labels