Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Translate Python Reddit Auth API to Download Tool

Anthony_A2
5 - Atom

Hello!

I am not having much luck translating the following Python API request into the Download tool to perform the same function. I am trying to receive an access token to use the Reddit API. I'm also having trouble inside of Python converting the json response to a dataframe to export and thought I'd use the download tool instead.  Can anyone advise how to set this up in the download tool? I think the beginning with BasicAuth is giving me trouble.

from ayx import Alteryx
import requests
import requests.auth
import pandas as pd

client_auth = requests.auth.HTTPBasicAuth('client_id', 'client_secret')
post_data = {"grant_type": "password", "username": "myusername", "password": "mypassword"}
headers = {"User-Agent": "ChangeMeClient/0.1 by myusername"}
response = requests.post("https://www.reddit.com/api/v1/access_token", auth=client_auth, data=post_data, headers=headers)
response.json()

In the download tool:

• I enter the same URL
  • Select "Post"
  • Select my "grant_type", "username", and "password" fields in Payload
  • Select my "User-agent" field for headers
  • Have tried selecting my field "user" that had the client_id and client_secret combined in one field in different places. 
  • Receive a 401 response. 
1 REPLY 1
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Anthony_A2 I think you're pretty close. Hopefully the attached gets you there. I got it working on my side with a dummy account I setup.

patrick_digan_0-1651079131094.png

As you figured out, the issue is the client id/secret. You need to combine them with a : and Base64 encode them. The Base64 encoder tool with alteryx sometimes has problems with more than 1 record, so I use the Blob Convert tools. In the header, you call it Authorization and then add "Basic " (with a space!) before your encoded client id/secret. The authorization is always the hardest part of setting up an api call. 

Labels