Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transform Multiple Files Into One Dataset

nickgomez610
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am trying to create a workflow that will take all of the files in a folder and create a dataset out of all of them. Furthermore, all of the columns have the same number of rows and the workbooks are structured identically.

I tried using the input data wildcard method and also tried the dynamic input tool but I am running into some issues. Furthermore, when the datasets import they link up columns that have similar names and stack the datasets (with the columns named after the first input file). The columns names are structured like:

File 1 column names: Country 1 Product 1 Scenario 1 (column 1), Country 1 Product 1 Scenario 2 (column 2),.....

File 2 column names: Country 2 Product 1 Scenario 1 (column 1), Country 2 Product 1 Scenario 2 (column 2),.....

I think that Alteryx is looking where the product and scenario combinations are matching and stacking there. Is there a way to make the workflow create separate columns? I have attached a simple excel example to give a visual. Let me know!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
jeff_reynolds
10 - Fireball

Hi there. Try the attached workflow. It's using 'Join By Record Position' and gives the output you supplied on the example data. 

Good luck. 

nickgomez610
7 - Meteor

Thanks for sending this over. However, the problem is that I have a large number of files that I am importing. I need to use a wildcard or dynamic input. I only used two different files with a limited number of scenarios/products for the purpose of simplifying the demonstration. 

FFFool
9 - Comet

I believe this will help you get where you're going. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...

I also just read this today and it's so simple I can't believe it works, but haven't tried it out yet. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Hack-for-error-quot-has-a-different-sc...

Labels