Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transfer Field Descriptions from Alteryx to Tableau MetaData

cstouwie
7 - Meteor

Hey Alteryx Community,

Looking for some assistance here. My fields have thorough descriptions as found in the Select tool. I'm publishing this data into Tableau server. Is there a way to get this meta data into tableau data source when it is published?

I do realize that the manual effort is to output tde file and then make changes to meta data in tableau then save as .tds and include in publish under 'Data source metainfo (optional)'. However I'm hoping to avoid this in current and future flows. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can use a Basic Data Profile tool in the Data Investigation tab which will pull the descriptions for all of your field names. Depending on how you plan on using this data, you could output these descriptions as their own dataset as part of your workflow. Field info can also be used if you don't need other data profile information.

test.png

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@cstouwie You can use the field info tool and then the join tool to join it back to the original dataset. This way you will have the metainfo of the fields with the actual dataset. Attached is an example. 

Digan
Alteryx
Labels