Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Traditional Error Messaging

alyssa_sedai
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I know you can use the interface tools to generate an error message but when not using interactive tools how can you generate error messages. I have workflows that I have scheduled to run and there is no interactive process in them.  I have built a process that says if the output generates a result then a Success email is sent, otherwise a failure email is sent.  However, we are having issues with the workflow failing at the beginning and since that doesn't generate any records no email gets sent (as it neither failed nor succeeded).  Any ideas on other ways we can have it send some sort of error notification?

This is the code I wrote to generate a Success or failure email based on if there are records or not

Error Check.PNG

This is one of the workflows and the problem is we are having an error message at the Original table (for example) and as a result the entire workflow is failing and not getting to the point of generating any records so no email gets sent.  Is there a way to generate an error message?

Workflow Example.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alyssa_sedai 

I could suggest using Message Tool under the Developer Tab, but another way would be using Events Tab on Workflow Configuration:

snip121213.PNG

You can setup the "Send Email" event to run when "After Run With Errors".

I thinks this would work better.

Cheers,

alyssa_sedai
8 - Asteroid

Hello @Thableaus 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Is there any reason that wouldn't work in the Gallery?

alyssa_sedai
8 - Asteroid

Hello @Thableaus 

So why this should in theory work every since I made this change and published it to the Alteryx Gallery and scheduled the workflow it has failed.

Any ideas why?

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @alyssa_sedai 

I think you should check the log files from the Gallery. Were you able to see what actually happened? You need to be sure your server is able to access the SMTP Server.

This topic confirms that this works in the Gallery:

When workflow fails, send an email notification of workflow error messages

Cheers,

alyssa_sedai
8 - Asteroid

Hello @Thableaus 

If I run it in the Gallery without scheduling it; it runs just fine.  It seems to have to do with the scheduling aspect itself.

Labels