Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trade Area - Multiple Ring Buffer

ddavis216
6 - Meteoroid

Is it possible to create a multiple-ring trade area or buffer? For example, I want to create a 2-mile trade area around a point and then I want to create a 3-mile buffer from the outside boundary of that trade area polygon? The idea is that these would be distinct polygons and I could append unique demographic information to each the 2-mile and 3-mile zones. I attempted to do so using both the trade area tool first (eliminate overlap checked) and then the buffer tool around the trade area created (as pictured in workflow) but the results appear to have created merely a 5-mile buffer (as pictured in map) and there I cannot tell if the appended demographics are influenced by a blending of the 2-mile data.

The image below is looking at libraries in Akron, Ohio. The question is how demographic variables might change for people living closer to a library versus those living further away. Again, the point of the multi-ring trade area/buffer is to have unique demographic sets for each zone; so one could distinct attribute the proximity of one zone versus that of the outlying zone.

Thanks for any insight!

1 REPLY 1
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Check the Help on the Trade Area tool, but I think this is what you are looking for...

• Radius, Doughnuts, or Drivetime: There are 2 options here:

• Enter a specific value for the trade area radii or drivetime.

• Select a Field from the drop down list that contains corresponding drivetime values per record

• Values can be separated by a comma to indicate concentric rings (or doughnuts)  be drawn.

• Example: 5, 10, 15 will create concentric trade areas in 5, 10, 15 increments

• Example: 5-10, 15-20 will create doughnut trade areas.

Labels