Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Total by each group of rows

new_user
7 - Meteor

Is it possible to group data by multiple columns, and then adding 'two-level' Total rows on each group? 

Example for it is attached.

There is count on each row (easy to add), and at the end of each group should be two rows- Total by Field1 and Total by Field2

12 REPLIES 12
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hello @new_user! That's going to be an awesome name when you are an Alteryx pro because then you can still get away with asking any questions and no one will bat an eye.

Using the Summary tool you can absolutely group by multiple columns (demo on the way). Are you asking specifically if we can create an output like the one attached (with subtotals and the like)?

Treyson

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
new_user
7 - Meteor
I am aking is it possible to add subtotals as in example attached
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Reading back over the question, I now see that that was exactly what you asked for. I was just so excited about your user name that I went off the rails. I am sure we can, let me play around with a few things and get back to you.

Treyson

Treyson Marks
new_user
7 - Meteor
Aha, ok.. I am happy to hear that is possible :)
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Oh boy.

So this one took a bit of trial and error because of sorting. I tried to make it as dynamic as possible so no matter how many groupings you have it would fit into your data. Let me know if you have any questions.

I bet that if we ask @MarqueeCrew (Mark) he would tell us to use the tile tool. Mark can we use the tile tool on this one?

Treyson

Treyson Marks
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Treyson,

#GoodLuckWithThat #NoTile

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@new_user I took a similar approach to @Treyson but tried to use less tools. I used a recordID to help with the sorting. Hopefully our 2 answers will point you in the right direction!

new_user
7 - Meteor

Thank you, Treyson! Because I am new_user this was so educative for me :)

new_user
7 - Meteor

Patric, can you check if the attachment is ok? For some reason I can't open workflow.. Thank you

Labels