Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Total Column

skrsanac
7 - Meteor

Hi, what is the best way to include in the last row a total of every column.

|  a    |   b   |  c  |

-------------------

|    1  |  3   |  5 | 

-------------------

|    3 |  5   |  6  | 

-------------------

total |   4  |  8   |  11 |

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

11 REPLIES 11
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I'd use the Add Totals tool!

Attached a sample

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jdunkerley79 might be right, but I don't have that tool loaded.

Here is a module that will remember the column order, dynamically select all numeric columns and will create a total for them.  It blends the data together.

His answer is probably better, but here is an approach that might work for you too.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
skrsanac
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your help, but when i try to open de project give me and error that i attach,

Alteryx.png

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Good point - its actually a CReW macro.I didn't notice - my Alteryx is quite customised these days....

You can grab the macros from here http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2015/10/crew-macro-pack-2015-q3-release.html

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Using standard tools you could do something like the attached. (though I like @MarqueeCrew solution too).

Not sure if this will handle nulls in the data very well!

Fixed for nulls

skrsanac
7 - Meteor

Thanks both, is working now.

AricMH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can also use the "Summarize" tool.  Set each column to SUM and don't provide a Group By.  You can then UNION the new "total" row back to the original data set.

SpartanAsh
5 - Atom

I got the totals row added (thanks everyone!). Is there a way to name the last row as "totals" in my table?

AricMH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Once you have the Summarize totals, use the "Formula" tool to add a column with "Total" as a value.  You can then Union the Totals back to the data set if the columns matchup.  I put together the attached workflow demonstrating the steps.  Hope this helps. 

Labels