Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Total Column

skrsanac
7 - Meteor

Hi, what is the best way to include in the last row a total of every column.

|  a    |   b   |  c  |

-------------------

|    1  |  3   |  5 | 

-------------------

|    3 |  5   |  6  | 

-------------------

total |   4  |  8   |  11 |

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

11 REPLIES 11
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I'd use the Add Totals tool!

Attached a sample

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jdunkerley79 might be right, but I don't have that tool loaded.

Here is a module that will remember the column order, dynamically select all numeric columns and will create a total for them.  It blends the data together.

His answer is probably better, but here is an approach that might work for you too.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
skrsanac
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your help, but when i try to open de project give me and error that i attach,

Alteryx.png

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Good point - its actually a CReW macro.I didn't notice - my Alteryx is quite customised these days....

You can grab the macros from here http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2015/10/crew-macro-pack-2015-q3-release.html

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Using standard tools you could do something like the attached. (though I like @MarqueeCrew solution too).

Not sure if this will handle nulls in the data very well!

Fixed for nulls

skrsanac
7 - Meteor

Thanks both, is working now.

AricMH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can also use the "Summarize" tool.  Set each column to SUM and don't provide a Group By.  You can then UNION the new "total" row back to the original data set.

SpartanAsh
5 - Atom

I got the totals row added (thanks everyone!). Is there a way to name the last row as "totals" in my table?

AricMH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Once you have the Summarize totals, use the "Formula" tool to add a column with "Total" as a value.  You can then Union the Totals back to the data set if the columns matchup.  I put together the attached workflow demonstrating the steps.  Hope this helps. 

Labels