Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tool to Edit Individual Cells

jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am very new to Alteryx.  I have built a flow (Thanks to the help of a user several months ago!) to compare multiple different spreadsheets in which the input date is all from different systems.  What I am stuck on now is finding a tool that will let me change actual cell data.  For Example, 1 of these systems uses a label of BARX while the other system uses a label of BRS.  I would like to edit the input sheet that uses BARX and change it to BRS in every single instance.  I have multiple label differences, so with the comparison workflow I've built I always have a difference because of the labels, but the data is the exact same.  To make it easier to read and only spot actual differences in the 2 datasets, I would like to change the labels with a tool if that is possible.

Hopefully I have explained this well enough.  Apologies in advance if I have not as again I am very, very new to Alteryx.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jmmart08,

Does "BARX" show up in a field?  If it does, it can be replaced using a Formula tool.  For instance, if it is in Field1, then in the Formula tool Select Column Field1, then use the following formula:  IF [Field1] = "BARX" THEN "BRS" ELSE [Field1] ENDIF

If this is not fitting your use case, please provide sample data and examples of what you are trying to do.  

jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Hi T_Willins,

Thank you very much for your reply.  This does work but I have several other cases like this within the same column, and in other columns.  Would I have to place a formula tool in my workflow for each instance or is there a way I can do this in 1 formula tool?  Another example is within the same Column, I need to replace the text "USBW" with "USS".  I believe I have 4 different find/replace I need to perform within this same column, and also do something similar in 3 other columns.

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jmmart08,

You can use an IF/THEN/ELSEIF formula:

IF [Field1] = "BARX" THEN "BRS" ELSEIF [Field1] = "USBX" THEN "USS" ELSE [Field1] ENDIF

For additional changes, you just add more ELSEIF ... THEN to this formula.  For changing other fields (columns), you can use the same Formula tool, just add a new formula (+  below where you see data type), select the next column, then repeat this process.  I attached a sample workflow for your reference.

If this works and answers your question, please mark this as an accepted solution to let the Community know your question has been answered.

jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Hi T_Willins,

This worked perfectly.  Thank you so much for your assistance.  I have accepted as a solution.  I appreciate your help very much!

Labels