Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tool to Edit Individual Cells

jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am very new to Alteryx.  I have built a flow (Thanks to the help of a user several months ago!) to compare multiple different spreadsheets in which the input date is all from different systems.  What I am stuck on now is finding a tool that will let me change actual cell data.  For Example, 1 of these systems uses a label of BARX while the other system uses a label of BRS.  I would like to edit the input sheet that uses BARX and change it to BRS in every single instance.  I have multiple label differences, so with the comparison workflow I've built I always have a difference because of the labels, but the data is the exact same.  To make it easier to read and only spot actual differences in the 2 datasets, I would like to change the labels with a tool if that is possible.

Hopefully I have explained this well enough.  Apologies in advance if I have not as again I am very, very new to Alteryx.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jmmart08,

Does "BARX" show up in a field?  If it does, it can be replaced using a Formula tool.  For instance, if it is in Field1, then in the Formula tool Select Column Field1, then use the following formula:  IF [Field1] = "BARX" THEN "BRS" ELSE [Field1] ENDIF

If this is not fitting your use case, please provide sample data and examples of what you are trying to do.  

jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Hi T_Willins,

Thank you very much for your reply.  This does work but I have several other cases like this within the same column, and in other columns.  Would I have to place a formula tool in my workflow for each instance or is there a way I can do this in 1 formula tool?  Another example is within the same Column, I need to replace the text "USBW" with "USS".  I believe I have 4 different find/replace I need to perform within this same column, and also do something similar in 3 other columns.

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jmmart08,

You can use an IF/THEN/ELSEIF formula:

IF [Field1] = "BARX" THEN "BRS" ELSEIF [Field1] = "USBX" THEN "USS" ELSE [Field1] ENDIF

For additional changes, you just add more ELSEIF ... THEN to this formula.  For changing other fields (columns), you can use the same Formula tool, just add a new formula (+  below where you see data type), select the next column, then repeat this process.  I attached a sample workflow for your reference.

If this works and answers your question, please mark this as an accepted solution to let the Community know your question has been answered.

jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Hi T_Willins,

This worked perfectly.  Thank you so much for your assistance.  I have accepted as a solution.  I appreciate your help very much!

Labels