community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Tool Mastery | Input Data

Comet

Hi everyone,

When I run my workflow, the error message I receive when I am simply importing a ".txt" file, with only 3 lines in quotes, says that There are too many fields in the source file. Attached, is my workflow for the things I am attempting to do - output/write text to a ".csv" file, three rows without double or single quotes.

The thing is, I see only one field in the configuration window of the Input Data tool - is there a limit on how many fields can be imported on to an Input Data tool, especially with text fields? I didn't think so but I may be wrong.

So far, this is the only error I am running in to on what I consider a simple thing. Why is that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Fourth of July in advance!

Best,

@dchandra

Magnetar
Magnetar

Hi,

Without seeing the text file, it's hard to say exactly what the issue is.

If I had to guess, I would say there is a comma somewhere in the file that is not in quotes, causing some kind of issue, although with only three lines that seems unlikely.

If you can send the text file, that would be really helpful.

Comet

Hi @Claje,

Here is the text file - an MS Woed file, which was saved in text format.

Can you attach more than one file on these discussions? (I did not see a way of doing so; it seems that, if I want to attach more than one file, it always replaces an earlier file with the new attachment.)

At your convenience, would you please assist me with my issues?

Thanks and Happy Fourth of July to you, in advance!

Best,

@dchandra

Magnetar
Magnetar

Something about the quote character in your file is different than the quotes that Alteryx is looking for.  You're using “ and alteryx is looking for ".  This is likely due to the MS Word character usage, if I had to guess, and I believe its a different unicode character.

With this particular example its fairly easy to read the file in correctly, although you'll encounter some issues with your existing filter, if I had to guess.

To read the file in, update the "delimiters" value in the input data configuration to either a unused character (I often use the pipe character |) or set it as \0 (Alteryx interprets this as No Delimiter).

That way you will be able to read the file in successfully.

Comet

Hi @Claje,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate that.

If MS Word files are saved as "text" files, are there issues that can happen when importing on to the Input Data Tool? I thought that it does not matter which external program the source file is made, provided the file is saved in a format that is acceptable to Alteryx. As I understand it, the thirty file types provided below are accepted in Alteryx's Input Data Tool, but I may not be 100% correct on that.

Alteryx Database

.yxdb

Alteryx Calgary

.cydb

Alteryx Spatial Zip

.sz

Apache Hadoop Avro

.avro

ASCII Flat

.flat

Autodesk

.sdf

Comma Separated Values

.csv

dBase

.dbf

ESRI GeoDatabase

.gdb

ESRI Personal GeoDatabase

.mdb

ESRI Shapefile

.shp

GIS

.grc, .grd

Google Earth/Maps

.kml

IBM SPSS

.sav

JSON

.json

MapInfo Professional Interchange

.mid, .mif

MapInfo Professional Table

.tab

Microsoft Access 2000-2003

.mdb

Microsoft Excel 1997-2003

.xls

Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016

.xlsx

Microsoft Excel Macro Enabled

.xlsm

Microsoft Office Access 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016

.accdb

OpenGIS

.mgl

QlikView

.qvx

SAS

.sas7bdat

SQLite

.sqlite

SRC Geography

.geo

Text

.txt, .asc

XML

.xml

Zip Files

.zip

Thanks, again, and take care.

Best,

@dchandra

Comet

Hi @Claje,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate that.

If MS Word files are saved as "text" files, are there issues that can happen when importing on to the Input Data Tool? I thought that it does not matter which external program the source file is made, provided the file is saved in a format that is acceptable to Alteryx. As I understand it, the thirty file types provided below are accepted in Alteryx's Input Data Tool, but I may not be 100% correct on that.

Alteryx Database

.yxdb

Alteryx Calgary

.cydb

Alteryx Spatial Zip

.sz

Apache Hadoop Avro

.avro

ASCII Flat

.flat

Autodesk

.sdf

Comma Separated Values

.csv

dBase

.dbf

ESRI GeoDatabase

.gdb

ESRI Personal GeoDatabase

.mdb

ESRI Shapefile

.shp

GIS

.grc, .grd

Google Earth/Maps

.kml

IBM SPSS

.sav

JSON

.json

MapInfo Professional Interchange

.mid, .mif

MapInfo Professional Table

.tab

Microsoft Access 2000-2003

.mdb

Microsoft Excel 1997-2003

.xls

Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016

.xlsx

Microsoft Excel Macro Enabled

.xlsm

Microsoft Office Access 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016

.accdb

OpenGIS

.mgl

QlikView

.qvx

SAS

.sas7bdat

SQLite

.sqlite

SRC Geography

.geo

Text

.txt, .asc

XML

.xml

Zip Files

.zip

Thanks, again, and take care.

Best,

@dchandra

Magnetar
Magnetar

So to clarify - its not that the Word file itself has a problem, rather it is the specific quotation mark character that appears in your file.

There are a number of Unicode characters which are visually very similar, but your computer reads them very differently.  In this Microsoft Word example, the quotation mark used is different than the one Alteryx looks for when ignoring delimiters.

It can be tricky to correctly manage issues like this, particularly with values that a workflow expects to see, like quotations.  You can do some character conversion work to try and convert them properly, but you'll have to identify all the conversion cases yourself.

Labels