Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

ToNumber(TRIM) Formula with Resulting Conversion Error Reached

TR
8 - Asteroid

I have a file name I'm wanting to parse only the numbers from. Here are 3 examples of the filename in the format I'm working with: (Store107BGs_2015.yxdb, Store7BGs_2015.yxdb and Store1007BGs_2015.yxdb). The successful parse result would be 107, 7 and 1007.

I'm using a Formula with the following expression: ToNumber(Trim([FileName],"Store")) and I'm getting successful results but with Conv Errors: the Formula (14) TONUMBER: 107BGs_2015.yxdb lost information in translation,  Formula (14) TONUMBER: Conversion Error Limit Reached.

Although I'm getting the correct results, what is a cleaner way to do this?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The problem is that the TRIM function is returning 107BGs_2015.yxdb which you are then trying to convert to a number via TONUMBER()

Trim 'Store' from the left and then 'BGs_2015.yxdb' from the right and then convert to a number. I've done this and used the Select tool to convert.

The most robust way to do this would be to use REGEX_REPLACE() to replace the 'BGs_2015.yxdb' so that your function doesn't stop working when the year changes.

Probably something like this: REGEX_REPLACE([Field1], 'BGs_\d{4}.yxdb', '')

GarthM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

how about this

ToNumber(
REGEX_Replace([FileName], '.*?(\d+).*', '$1')
)

this assumes you're creating a separate field with a numeric type. 

TR
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply @michael_treadwell! Your sample worked fine, however when integrated back into my workflow it gave me the same results I had stumbled upon before with incomplete parsing. I was left with multiple 'Store' results and some with 'Store107', 'Store108'... The REGEX was a super recommendation and the follow-up suggestion looks to have used it and will be the one that may work well.

TR
8 - Asteroid

Works perfectly! Still wrapping my head around the REGEX and it's capabilities, thanks.

GarthM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

maybe this will help:

Regex Crossword

TR
8 - Asteroid

[Trying hard not to get sidetracked by playing Regex Crossword]

Thanks, that's great!

GarthM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

ha! good luck with staying on task. regex crosswords are addicting. Smiley Happy

Labels