Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

To set the template of the input files

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

Hi Folks, 

I am working on a project where i need to create an alteryx application  where --

Input can be any number of excels with any number of columns but output has a template (fixed output columns ) 

so output will be the consolidated excel of all the input excels -- 

problem here is -- In the input excels column names may differ like -

for example -  Employee name / name/ emp name  for Employee Name in output 

so i would like to fix the template at input tool (same as output) and if the input file do not follow the template -- it throws an error  or any workflow to accept all the different column names and automatically convert them into the final output column name

Warm Regards 

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Ekta ,

I would recommend you to have the application to select a folder to in which all the files are together. After input all the files into a batch macro to union the data (this may only be possible if all the files have the same number of columns (name doesn't matter).

cheers

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This is a demonstration of how to do it

cheers

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

Hi , 

Thanks a lot for the workflow , but i am not able to run it .. its giving me error :( 

"A record was created with no field "

I am having 5 excel file with 4 columns of different names.

Please help

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Ekta ,

Are your files xlsx? The directory is configured only to accept those kind of files. If not, you would need to enter your tool and change it.

I used it again with 4 files (1 row per file) and works perfectly:

Untitled.png

Could you also tell me if you are trying to read multiple sheets on the workbooks and the name of those sheets? It is also configured to only read basic names like < Sheet1 >

Cheers

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Labels