Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

To many fields defined

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Hi There,

I keep receiving this below error in my workflow. The file currently has 247 columns and I am adding another 125 although have only attempted 20 so far and receiving the below warning. Is there a limit to the number of columns in Alteryx?

Error: Output Data (3): Error creating table "Sheet1": Microsoft JET Database Engine: Too many fields defined.\3190 = -68092944

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
This looks like a problem with the file type you are trying to write, which judging by the error is an .xls file.

Try outputting as a .xlsx if possible, there used to be a much smaller restriction on older excel files than on existing ones.

Ben
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
A quick google seems to confirm this, .xls files only support 256 columns https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=excel+column+limit+2003&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB747GB747&oq=column+limit+2...
collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, that would make sense as I have more columns. I am still getting the same error when I change to .xlsx

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Ignore that my bad it does work!  Thank you very much!

nicho_x86
6 - Meteoroid

I'm experiencing this same problem and I can't work out why.

I am using a module with an xls input. When I run it on mine it works fine. When I run it on my colleagues machine she gets the error.

Any idea what it is that causes it to work on one machine and not the other?

Thanks,

Labels