Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

To many fields defined

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Hi There,

I keep receiving this below error in my workflow. The file currently has 247 columns and I am adding another 125 although have only attempted 20 so far and receiving the below warning. Is there a limit to the number of columns in Alteryx?

Error: Output Data (3): Error creating table "Sheet1": Microsoft JET Database Engine: Too many fields defined.\3190 = -68092944

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
This looks like a problem with the file type you are trying to write, which judging by the error is an .xls file.

Try outputting as a .xlsx if possible, there used to be a much smaller restriction on older excel files than on existing ones.

Ben
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
A quick google seems to confirm this, .xls files only support 256 columns https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=excel+column+limit+2003&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB747GB747&oq=column+limit+2...
collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, that would make sense as I have more columns. I am still getting the same error when I change to .xlsx

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Ignore that my bad it does work!  Thank you very much!

nicho_x86
6 - Meteoroid

I'm experiencing this same problem and I can't work out why.

I am using a module with an xls input. When I run it on mine it works fine. When I run it on my colleagues machine she gets the error.

Any idea what it is that causes it to work on one machine and not the other?

Thanks,

Labels