Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

To check if a date column is in YYYY-MM-DD format, if not to give "Fail" as the result

sucansa
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am new to Alteryx and I have a use case to test if the column has records with date displayed in "YYYY-MM-DD" format. If not, I have to mark the result as fail. Any help on this is really appreciated..

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sucansa I mocked up an example using this syntax in a formula. I attached the workflow let me know what you think?

IF DateTimeFormat([Date],"%Y-%m-%d")=[Date] THEN "Yes" ELSE "Fail" ENDIF 

Dates_Test_021019.PNG

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JosephSerpis 's solution has the added benefit of not just checking the syntax but verifying that the date is valid without doing a bunch of extra checks. So 2019-02-29 may have the right syntax but still be rejected.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

ignore me 🙂

sucansa
7 - Meteor

Thank you! This worked the magic.

swuenschel
5 - Atom

Thank you for this bit of code.  I've been struggling with how to test the date time formats prior to running them through Parse and getting errors.  

Labels