This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
I've gotten a timeout in the Tableau macro a few times:
Publish to Tableau Server (2) Tool #592: Record #1: Tool #34: Upload status (registrations): 454 out of 454 MB uploaded (100.0%) as of 08:54:38 on 2016/04/11 Publish to Tableau Server (2) Tool #592: Record #1: Tool #58: Error transferring data: Timeout was reached Publish to Tableau Server (2) Tool #592: The output connection "Output74" was not valid Designer x64 Finished running 02BuyerInsightsPortal.yxmd in 52:43 minutes with 2 errors and 11 field conversion errors
This always shows up after the 100% complete message. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I added the block until done tool and it seemed to work for a while but I'm getting the error again now that I'm sending more data. Do you have any other suggestions? The runtime for the script is now up to ~2 hours as we've roughly doubled the amount of data going to Tableau but the message is otherwise the same as above and I'm getting the error in both the Designer and the command line.
You are likely seeing the error due to the Tableau server auth token expiring - by default it has a 2 hour timeout.
In the macro from Alteryx, the auth token generation process has nothing upstream, and it will get the auth token imediately after the run button is pressed. This happens regardless of placing a Block Until Done tool before it as the auth token process is in no way dependent on input data to the macro. If the workflow's processing of the data + publishing takes more than 2 hours, the token will expire and the publishing will fail.
We have gotten arround this by modifying the macro to not get the auth token until all the data is processed and ready for publishing. Here is the modification:
The link coming into the block until done tool comes from the macros input:
The modification works by making making Alteryx "think" that the input data is needed before getting the auth token. I'm joining 1 row of my input data (by position) into the auth data leg of the workflow to make the process dependent on my data (all of it by using the Block Until Done), then immediately removing the data I added with the select tool.
This will now give the full 2 hours for creating the TDE and pushing it to your Tableau server.