Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Timeout in Publish to Tableau macro

jgreene
8 - Asteroid

I've gotten a timeout in the Tableau macro a few times:

Publish to Tableau Server (2)    Tool #592: Record #1: Tool #34: Upload status (registrations): 454 out of 454 MB uploaded (100.0%) as of 08:54:38 on 2016/04/11
    Publish to Tableau Server (2)    Tool #592: Record #1: Tool #58: Error transferring data: Timeout was reached
    Publish to Tableau Server (2)    Tool #592: The output connection "Output74" was not valid
    Designer x64    Finished running 02BuyerInsightsPortal.yxmd in 52:43 minutes with 2 errors and 11 field conversion errors

This always shows up after the 100% complete message. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

14 REPLIES 14
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Are you using the one by theinformation lab or the official Alteryx macro that can be downloaded here?

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-to-Tableau-Server--Installer-/565b9ed8aa690a1254265b9c

Best,

Daniel

jgreene
8 - Asteroid

Version 1.04 of the macro published by Alteryx. An additional note, this generally onyl shows up when the package containing the macro is run with the command line tool.

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Jgreene,

Are you running Alteryx Designer 10.1 or higher?

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

jgreene
8 - Asteroid

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have you tried the block until done tool before the Tableau Macro?

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

jgreene
8 - Asteroid

I added the block until done tool and it seemed to work for a while but I'm getting the error again now that I'm sending more data. Do you have any other suggestions? The runtime for the script is now up to ~2 hours as we've roughly doubled the amount of data going to Tableau but the message is otherwise the same as above and I'm getting the error in both the Designer and the command line.

rdoptis
11 - Bolide

You are likely seeing the error due to the Tableau server auth token expiring - by default it has a 2 hour timeout.

In the macro from Alteryx, the auth token generation process has nothing upstream, and it will get the auth token imediately after the run button is pressed. This happens regardless of placing a Block Until Done tool before it as the auth token process is in no way dependent on input data to the macro. If the workflow's processing of the data + publishing takes more than 2 hours, the token will expire and the publishing will fail. 

We have gotten arround this by modifying the macro to not get the auth token until all the data is processed and ready for publishing. Here is the modification:

Block.png

The link coming into the block until done tool comes from the macros input:

Source.png

The modification works by making making Alteryx "think" that the input data is needed before getting the auth token. I'm joining 1 row of my input data (by position) into the auth data leg of the workflow to make the process dependent on my data (all of it by using the Block Until Done), then immediately removing the data I added with the select tool. 

This will now give the full 2 hours for creating the TDE and pushing it to your Tableau server.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Ryan

jgreene
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the suggestion. I've made the modifications and am testing now.

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

Hi JGreene, how did your test go? 

I am having the same issue. Will test the proposed solution myself. 

Labels