Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Timeout Error importing Python Packages

Drew_Moore
6 - Meteoroid

I'm new to Python in general and certain Python in Alteryx but I was looking to rewrite some old web scrapers I had written in JavaScript and the Python tool looked like a great place to start.  The problem is I'm having a hard time installing packages into Alteryx.  Forgive my unfamiliarity with Python, but here is what I tried in the Python tool using Help as best I could.

clipboard_image_0.png

So if I understand Python correctly there is a package called BeautifulSoup that I want to install that is not one of the default packages that Alteryx installs for us.  So, I need to tell Alteryx to go out and install it.  I think I only need to do this one time and then after that, when I tell it I want to import BeautifulSoup, it will know what I am talking about and I won't need to fully install.

So from my error message, it looks like I am going through 4 attempts to install the package and I am timing out each time.  It also however looks like I am successfully identifying a valid package that is being attempted to be installed from files.pythonhosted.org.

So my thought process to get around this, knowing nothing about Python, is 

1) Increase the default timeout value from what appears to be 15 seconds

2) Go out and grab the package install file myself and manually put it in the Python package repository with all the canned default Alteryx packages at C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\PythonTool_venv\Lib\site-packages

With approach 2 I can  get the beautifulsoup4-4.8.0.tar.gz file downloaded but I don't think the directory above is the right place to drop it since there are no other files of that type there, even though it is clearly referencing other installed packages.

clipboard_image_1.png

Any advice is much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Drew_Moore did you try running Designer as an Admin? Try doing that and installing the package. 

Digan
Alteryx
Drew_Moore
6 - Meteoroid

@DiganP Thanks for the suggestion.  Running as admin produces the same error.

Drew_Moore
6 - Meteoroid

I made some progress.  I figured out how to change the default timeout value in the installer configuration file at 

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\PythonTool_venv\Lib\site-packages\pip\cmdoptions.py

clipboard_image_0.png

I changed the default from 15 to 100.  Now I don't get a timeout error, but I get a different error:

ProtocolError('Connection aborted.', ConnectionResetError(10054, 'An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host', None, 10054, None))': /packages/1a/b7/34eec2fe5a49718944e215fde81288eec1fa04638aa3fb57c1c6cd0f98c3/beautifulsoup4-4.8.0-py3-none-any.whl

Again, it retrys 4 times and then terminates.

DavidM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi,

With Alteryx 2019.3 there is new way how packages are handled and you could solve this by getting all packages you need using conda.

Check this post out

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Manage-packages-for-Python-Tool-with-C...

david

David Matyas
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Labels