Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.

Time Series Help w/ Dates

Highlighted
5 - Atom

HI

new to this community... I have a packaged workbook but don't know how to add it to this message :-S

I am trying to use the TS Plot tool using data I am pulling from a table using an OBDC connection. When I run the flow it works fine however the output does not look correct to me. I think the dates are off? I want to run this using month and then day but not sure how to correct my dates. When I pull from the connection it does say that the ACCT DATE is in a date format.

Help would be appreciated!

Sydney

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner
Alteryx Partner

Hi Sydney,

You can attach your workflow using the "Choose Files" button in the lower left of the text box for posting. 

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner
Alteryx Partner

If you right click on the macro you can scroll down to the "Open macro" option. It will show you how the macro works. The time series analysis is using R so it is all contained within the tool. (As a side note keep in mind last year was a leap year).

View inside the Plot MacroView inside the Plot MacroR Script for Plot MacroR Script for Plot Macro

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi, sorry this does not really help me to understand if the dates from my data are the issue?

the format is "2015-01-01"

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi Sydney,

I will offer that, from a TS standpoint, the dates are indeed an issue:

• For Year 2015 you only have January (and not all of the days either)
  • For Year 2016 you do not have the entire year AND you might want to consider dropping Feb 29 as this date will not repeat until the next leap year...keeping it would skew your results
  • For Year 2017 you only have the first couple of days in January

Further, your configuration within the TS Plot tool is calling for Monthly; things will break here as you do not have complete and contiguous monthly periods. We could explore daily (all days, assuming you have Sat and Sun versus just Mon-Fri) and recast your set for the most contiguous days in the set...allowing for minimal imputation, where we have a one-day gap or so.

If you could share more about what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps I might be able to dial you in closer in a more meaningful way. In the meantime, have an excellent day ahead!

I see your initial ask was a week ago; I hope you have since figured things out! If not, please let me know.

Best,

RNO.

Labels