Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tile

gavinwong
7 - Meteor

Hi community

i have read the Help section and tried to find some videos in youtube about the Tile Tool. Even going through the tutorial.. but i still dont get it how it works. Is there a simpler way to understand this ? or maybe a small dataset to understand how it actually works ? 

thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hello @gavinwong - Tile tool is definitely confusing but very powerful.

The best way to learn is to check out the example (which has inbuilt sample data).

If you click on the tool and open example, you will see a very good example, explaining different functions a tile tool can do.

The next step can be you create a sample data (relatively small) set and test yourself and be more comfortable.

Hope this helps!

Tile.PNG

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

Alteryx ACE | Alteryx For Good India Lead | Bengaluru Alteryx User Group Lead
gavinwong
7 - Meteor

Hi @ydmuley

yes i have tried that. and narrowed down my data set as attached... after running the tile tool through all the scenarios.. still dont get what its trying to do. 

vishwa_0308
11 - Bolide

@gavinwong,

A tool can do whatever you let it to do..You have to figure out of the examples as per you desired results. Well, could you please share with us what output you are looking for?

Thanks,

Vishwa

ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thank you @gavinwong for sharing the sheet, but do let us know what are you trying to achieve through this data?

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

gavinwong
7 - Meteor

@ydmuley @vishwa_0308

what does equal records and equal sums do ?

i am pretty new to Alteryx and so when i hit a tutorial 4, it asked me to drag in a tile tool, and i followed accordingly but dont know what its trying to do. Smart tile ?

Looking through all the options of the configuration window, i am trying to figure out what it actually does.

ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@gavinwong

Equal Records - Splits the total records from your data into equal groups that you define.

Example: If you have 10 records and you do equal records for 2 - in that case, you will get a group of two split by 5 & 5 records each. Also, it will give sub-ranks to each of the records in the split. So it will start with 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and again from 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for the second group.

Equal same is same, instead of equal records it will take the total of your column and split into defined groups.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

vishwa_0308
11 - Bolide

@gavinwong,

Equal Records : This will divide the no. of records into sets. Suppose you have 100 records and you want 3 tiles then it simply divide the no. of records by no. of tiles and hence will create three sets having no. of records as 33,33 and 34. If you want create 5 sets then this will create 5 sets with 20 records.

ex : 100 records into  4 tiles.

100/4=25 records in each tiles.(1 to 4)

Equal Sum : Likewise equal records but it will distributes in such a way that all the tiles will hold approximate average.

In Equal records tiles will be assigned in sequential order but here in equal sum it generates averages of each tile in a random order.

Note: If you don't to get your records which are already tagged to some fields then you can use Don't Split tile method.

Thanks,

Vishwa

Labels