Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Throttle tool

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hello,

I am downloading data from twitter.  Since twitter has a rate limit of 450 record per 15 min, I wanted to use a throttle tool.

Rate Limit.png

However I am still getting a rate limit error.  Is this a correct way to use the throttle tool?

Thank you,

Kazumi

4 REPLIES 4
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @knozawa,

The throttle tool will reduce the number of records passing through it over a given time. It looks like you are only making one call to the twitter API, and so the throttle tool will not do anything there.

Say if you were making 1000 calls to the API, then you would put the throttle tool before the download tool and it would only allow x calls per minute to go to the download tool.

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Thank you, Kane!

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hi Kane,

I created a workflow with multiple calls.  When I added a throttle tool before downloading tool, I still reached a rate limit.  I believe a throttle tool can delay passing through it at least 1 record per 1 min.  Is there any way to delay it 1 record per 15 min?

Sincerely,

Kazumi

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @knozawa,

Sounds like the "Wait A Second" macro from the CReW Macro pack would work for you - The Wait A Second macro is a different spin on the throttle tool which allows a user to specify a wait time between records passing through the tool.

Crew Macro Pack - 2016 Q2 Release

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels