Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process Python tool

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

I've got an Workflow that uses an macro with multiple python tools in it.

what this macro mainly does is uploading specific data to Azure. 

for a while it worked great but the past few day's i'm getting cannot access errors and the python tool is creating new folders like 215aaf0eeb...

where the jupytherPipes.json file is stored.

full error:

00:00:03.530 - Error - ToolId 331: Tool #28: Jupyter Tool failed to open for writing the json file "[serverpath\filedirectory]\215aaf0eebe128b03a7008899fd409fd\jupyterPipes.json": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)

What i don't understand is why a python tool  uses an Jupyther tool and why it is trying to access an .json file.

from my understanding regarding python (I'm used to Pycharm/VScode editors) is that it never uses jupyther nootbook.

why does Alteryx uses jupyter nootbooks for python?

7 REPLIES 7
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @MartWClimber 
The Python Tool includes a customized version of Jupyter that allows you to run Python code directly in Alteryx Designer.

You can read a little more about it here:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/FAQ-Getting-started-with-Jupyter-No...

As of your error - I'm not perfectly sure. 
My suggestions would be:
A Full PC Restart (I've seen similar errors when the python tool has errored and jupyter notebook not closed properly)

Run Alteryx as Administrator (Issues can sometimes be faced with accessing folders if not run as admin)

Hopefully this helps!
TheOC

Bulien
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Oh also ensure you aren't using AMP engine! I dont think AMP fully supports the Python tool yet.

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
MartWClimber
9 - Comet

We run Alteryx on a server. then I should ask if people can restart the server. 

Also good to know that AMP doesn't support Python tool (yet hopefully) 

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

@TheOC 

from what I can tell the pipes.json file looks like this.

{
  "Constants": {
    "Engine.GuiInteraction": "0",
    "Engine.IterationNumber": 0,
    "Engine.ModuleDirectory": "[\\server:]\\data_extract\\alteryx\\Compleet\\Dimensions\\",
    "Engine.ReportFont": "Segoe UI",
    "Engine.TempFilePath": "[\\server:]settings\\Alteryx\\Engine\\Temp\\Engine_4024_c648560e1ed74116a6a5cabce27930f5_\\",
    "Engine.Type": "E1",
    "Engine.Version": "2021.3.3.63061",
    "Engine.WorkflowDirectory": "[\\server:]\\data_extract\\alteryx\\Compleet\\Dimensions\\",
    "Engine.WorkflowFileName": "AX_ETL_Dimensions.yxmd"
  },
  "input_connections": {
    "#2": "ba9ef87c7b0a7e3304eef4bb02ff514c.yxdb",
    "#1": "4460abb7be83bae8f01b9bf1238a923c.yxdb"
  }

it is trying to access this file and can't access this because it apparently is being by an other process. what is odd because this file is located in a temp folder that Alteyx created where only data from that specific python tool is being stored

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Yeah to me this sounds like Alteryx hasn't been able to close the Jupyter notebook properly - and it is still running in the background.

Typically this would still be closed when a workflow is closed - however i would potentially suggest that it is still open in the background.

You can check this, if someone has access to the servers task manager - i've had it before when i've had 'python' running multiple times in the task manager when the workflow is finished running. I think this happens often when using AMP which is why its not supported.

Hope this helps,
TheOC

Bulien
MartWClimber
9 - Comet

going to get the server restarted. hopefully it fixes the issue. if it happens again I can check the steps mentioned above

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @MartWClimber 
Makes sense, give me a shout if any further issues!

Cheers,

TheOC

Bulien
Labels