Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Niki_90
6 - Meteoroid

I've had an Alteryx workflow scheduled with the scheduler for a long time now. Recently, I've been getting the same error each night when trying to write out.

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

- The file I'm trying to output is a qvx.

- I find it hard to believe someone would have this file open since limited users have access to Alteryx.

- The file is written to a shared drive.

- My workflow is linear, so using a block tool is not the issue here.

I'm not sure what else to do besides rename the file, which did successfully output, but it would just be tedious to then fix it in the scheduler and all documentation.

Thanks for any help!

13 REPLIES 13
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Niki_90 

Since file is on a shared drive, is it possible that another, non-Alteryx user has a lock on the file?  Possibly someone in the company that uses QlikView?

Dan

Niki_90
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Dan,

I really don't think so. 

The file has been throwing errors since 8/12/21 so if this is the super rare case I feel their PC would have went through a shutdown or forced company update by now. But no one except myself should have any interest or be looking at this file.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Try to manually re-name the file in the network folder.  If there is a lock on the file, you won't be able to re-name it.

I've had the same problem when writing out to Excel, even after I closed the file.  Had to completely exit Excel.

Chris

Niki_90
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Chris,

I didn't think of that! Smart idea. I did check and I was unable to rename the file due to the same error.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

You might be able to find a network or other IT guy who can provide more information on the file lock.

But at least you know it's not specifically an Alteryx issue.

Niki_90
6 - Meteoroid

True. I am in process of reaching out now 🙂

Thank you so much for your help, Chris!

Niki_90
6 - Meteoroid

Later learned that our Qlik (QMC) had been caught in limbo trying to refresh the data to upload into Qlik so it was technically using the file.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Called it!

Dan

Genevieve
8 - Asteroid

Actually I had a similar problem and the issue wasn't Excel but the AMP engine. Untick the AMP in the Runtime Configuration panel and the traditional process will work.

Labels