Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

The input "#1" was not initialized. union tool error after upgrade

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

We've had an upgrade that upgraded or Alteryx to 2022.1. after this upgrade I get weird error's with union tools.

the error I can't fix is the The input "#1" was not initialized.error.

what I've done:

deleted all union tools in the workflow and replace them.

note: there is a python tool and crew runner tools in the workflow that connect to the same union tool all write output that I want to union together.

AMP is disabled!

previously (before upgrade) everything worked fine.

15 REPLIES 15
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Unfortunately this issue is not new, there are a bunch of topics and possible workarounds about it on the community, and as far as i know there is not a final and conclusive answer/solution to it. I suggest you to take a look at these topics and go by trial and error.

Solved: Input was not initialized - Alteryx Community

input was not initialized alteryx - Google Search

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

thanks for the reply @Felipe_Ribeir0. I try and see if I can fix this :) 

but this looks to me like a pretty big issue that out of the blue a tool can error and nobody knows why.

for context the union tool in the workflow i'm talking about, it is not an complex workflow. it got 2 input tools (yxdb's around 1M rows 10 columns each) a union tool and an output tool to save as a yxdb. 

is Alterxy aware of this bug?

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Starting with Alteryx 2021.4 Release, users should download the Runner from Gallery which contains fixes to some defects. We will be updating it again in the near future to add another defect fix. 

This Runner is supported by Alteryx: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Runner/ta-p/889234 

I am working with others to get better documentation on this. 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @TonyaS 

One doubt, this error is not specifically ocurring just with the runner macro, it can happen in any workflow as far as i know.

You guys are looking specifically to solve/document it for the runner macro?

Thanks!

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Oh, ok. Well, I checked the linked one and it still errors. This seems like something we should fix. @MartWClimber would you mind going through our Support with this so that it can get escalated? 

Tonya Smith
MartWClimber
9 - Comet

@TonyaS  i would if I could, but the error disappeared (and I can't recreate this) after we used a backup version of the workflow. According to the data I got nothing changed in this workflow for the corrupted and back-up version. 

but @TonyaS this The input "#1" was not initialized error isn't the first of its kind. with other Alteryx customers, what where the causes there? 

note that this happend after an Alteryx upgrade and only in 1 of the 200+ workflow we got.

the steps I had taken to resolve this error where: changing all union tools in that workflow, running parts of the workflow (other parts are in disabled contains)

copy and paste the entire workflow and run it again.

all of this resulted in the same error.

if you can't share to much details about this I understand but I would like to know why this is caused so I (and others who find this post) can prevent the same error in the future.

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Were you by chance running a yxzp? I have found that when I run yxzp imported workflows I am only able to see some errors reproduced if I delete the data folder that is generated after running it.  Meaning if you have a workflow1.yxzp and it generates a workflow1 folder when you run that, delete the folder before re-running the imported yxzp and you may be able to reproduce the error condition. 

In the meantime, I am asking our Engineers if they know the origin/cause of that Input was not initialized error. 

Tonya Smith
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

This will be fixed with the 2023.1 Release. 

Tonya Smith
raku0326
6 - Meteoroid

hope it works

Labels