Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

The field was truncated in Alterynx

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi , 

I faced the issued of the following error and may i know how can i fix the error below:

Jacob_94_0-1614856698295.png

6 REPLIES 6
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

If you have csv file you need to change the limit of signs in the input file. The field length column from the screen below:

Emil_Kos_0-1614857005221.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@SH_94 
I usually do this: If it is not CSV, conver to CSV then enlarge the field length.

CSV.PNG

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @ Emil_Kos

May i know when we need to use 1000 for the field length? Is it only for th format CSV?

I encounter one issue as shown screenshot below whereby the left hand side options only from 1 to 7 . May i know if this is fine and how should i fix it if not fine in this case?

I also attached another screenshot below for other file imported.

Jacob_94_0-1614859819247.png

Jacob_94_1-1614859931170.png

AndrewS
11 - Bolide

Hi @SH_94 

The field length setting is usually on your text files, there is another option to open the file as flat ASCII which will give you a file layout screen to set the length along with a couple of other options. It can also help to open them up in Notepad++ and look for issues with delimiters - I've found that truncated warnings on import are sometimes due to a missed delimiter on the source file or due to header/footer data that falls outside the file structure and has no delimiter.

Cheers.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

hey @SH_94 - the value of the Field Length Limit should be based on your understanding and expectation of the data.

If you expect 10 000 characters then set this value to 10 000.

This setting is not present on all data source types because for Database Connections, the field-size is known by the database - this is specific to text-type inputs.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @AndrewS ,

May i know where can i click the file layout screen to set the length for the flat ASCII?

Thank you

Labels