Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Hi -

Has anyone encountered this error? We're running Alteryx Designer 9.5 on Windows 7 Desktop. This error is thrown right when the module results the output to an Oracle table .

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile:  Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Thanks for any help!

Arul

50 REPLIES 50
Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

I also just had this error, I deleted my "Manual Config" Union and recreated it and now it's working fine.  Weird.  I've used Union tons of times before and never had an issue.  Just delete the one tool and reconfigure and it should work.

_richardr
10 - Fireball

I too have seen this issue with Union tool.  Someone needs to review the code on that tool.  At a minium it should catch the error and give a sensical error message.

alssau
5 - Atom

I got this error today. It was caused by having a Union tool configured to manually specify the fields. I left the 2 first fields blank. After I shifted them to the end, the flow ran normally.

_richardr
10 - Fireball

Why is this marked as solved?  Your reply is hardly a viable long term solution.  I fear that people are reponding to this thread and noone at Alteryx is looking at it because it is "solved".

Chrispy
7 - Meteor

Add me to the list of people that had this issue, and solved it by changing my Union tool to 'autoconfigure by name', and off of 'manually configure'. This is on both versions 10.1 and 10.5.

For what it's worth (or for the sake of troubleshooting), there were three unmatched fields in my data, two from input 1, and one from Input 2, but moving these fields to the beginning or end of the list made no difference in stopping it from throwing an error. 

Also for what it's worth, I agree that this should not have been marked as resolved. A number of people seem to be having the same issue, and solving it in the same way (switching their Union tool from manual config to auto). I would think this is exactly the kind of thing the engineers would want to see. 

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The reason this is marked as solved is because there is no one blanket solution when getting this error and we want to draw attention to the response that instructs on the right course of action. This error message indicates there is a defect and it may be thrown for different reasons. When you get this error, it needs to be reported through a client services representative so that it can be escalated and fixed by our development teams. If you have a reproducible case, where you get the error and were able to resolve it, by all means, please post that and I will make sure it gets to the appropriate personel so that it can be triaged and fixed. 

I understand that error messages are frustrating, but when they seem to make no sense, i.e. they do not indicate where the problem is occuring or how to resolve, it means there was an underlying problem that was not accounted for, a defect. It has been explained to me that this error is actually reported through the OS to the engine. We needs specifics to replicate and therefore fix. 

I have alerted QA as to the coincedence of a manually configured Union tool. 

Tara McCoy
Chrispy
7 - Meteor

Fair enough - thank you for the explanation. I will try to put together a minimum, repeatable example of the issue, and report it through the proper channel. Thanks again.

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Hi All,

Alas, I am not using a union tool in my workflow but still receving the dreaded "Error: Dynamic Input (507): InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile:  The pipe has been ended." error.  Please see the attached screenshot.  It appears to be random though.  One time through the error will occurr on a specific tool, yet a second time through, it runs with no problem.  It is happening on the Dynamic Input tool.  Is this an issue with my source table(s)?

_richardr
10 - Fireball
IMHO, yes, you have bad data in one of the input tables.

Wouldn't it be nice if this error told us more specifics about what file is causing the error? (I can dream...) :)

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.
hsinom
5 - Atom

Guys,

i am having the same error, I have not used any unions in my dataset. I only have a few joins but no unions.

i will try to report it to client services. The tool is great for the most part but when it comes to such errors without an explanation it really frustrates the end user not jus with Alteryx but with any software. 

Labels