Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Hi -

Has anyone encountered this error? We're running Alteryx Designer 9.5 on Windows 7 Desktop. This error is thrown right when the module results the output to an Oracle table .

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile:  Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Thanks for any help!

Arul

50 REPLIES 50
MikeD
8 - Asteroid

Other things that I have found help with this:

1)  Minimize the complexity of your joins.  I was trying to join on about 10 different fields, and I found I was better off doing a combination of filters and joins to reduce any given join to about two fields.

2)  Clear your Alteryx temp directory before running, including forcing delete of files.  Do this while Alteryx is closed.  Also, be careful if it is your temp directory for other programs.

3)  Close and restart Alteryx right before running the analysis.

4)  Go into task manager and give "AlteryxCmd" a high priority for memory.

Alteryx help told me to:

1)  Close memory-intensive applications, like Outlook, when running a heavy join

2)  Don't read or write to portable hard drives if it can be avoided

jorgeluis5000
5 - Atom

Hi

I struggled with this error for two days. Windows 7, Designer 2018.2. 

It happened to me the first time and I don't know why it dissapeared (I tried different things at the time, closing alteryx, rebooting the machine, etc.). But then it reappeared. This time I was able to pinpoint the cause. It was being produced by a Summarize Tool whenever I included a String field that was V_string type. I went several steps before, changed the V_string to V_WString and it was solved

I hope this contributes to find a general solution

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

I am having the same issue, I ran an workflow which works a couple of weeks ago and it works. Now when i running the same workflow i am getting this 

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

It seems to happen when i try to update an sql table but i only updated just over 100 records and i have an autofield of 

I am using Alteryx admin designer 11.7.4 

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

1. You may consider using an In-DB connection to the dbase and use Data Stream In\Out transformations to form a data stream to load the data in dbase.

2. check the version of oracle databse. As per alteryx documentation , below are the limitations:

wasifh
5 - Atom

I had the same issue, it was happening because of the field size in my formula tool. The field size in your output table should not be less than the selected field size. It happens mostly in formula tool because Alteryx by default pics up the large field size.

HelloWorld1
5 - Atom

Incurred same Issue. Simple solution: Had blank row of data in a Text Input tool. Deleted the extra row and solved problem..

Nadjet
5 - Atom

Hello,

I got the same issue when trying to write to Tableau server. Changing the time of string column to Wstring solved the issue. To identify the issue, you can unselect some columns from your output file to identify the 'faulty' type

Hope this may help

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I am thinking this should be put into the knowledge base section. @LeahK how does that happen exactly? 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @joshuaburkhow,

The content in this thread could potentially be leveraged to create a Knowledge Base article. I'll pass it along to our support and content team for review. Thanks for the heads up!

abhi061987
5 - Atom

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

Labels