Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Hi -

Has anyone encountered this error? We're running Alteryx Designer 9.5 on Windows 7 Desktop. This error is thrown right when the module results the output to an Oracle table .

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile:  Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Thanks for any help!

Arul

50 REPLIES 50
akshatoz
7 - Meteor

This is a very generic solution :(

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Yeah but I can honestly say that after switching from a 32 to a 64 it has yet to fail again. 

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

I was able to solve the same. One of the datatypes was having a huge length defined on V_Wstring. I changed it to int 64

patricia_beaty
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I have gotten this error, but I do not have an union. I have a dynamic output and if anything there is a join, that I cannot put it as "Join by Record Position." Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

Hi can you validate all the data types and their precision in the joiner tools.

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Ever since I updated my VPN, I have not had an issue with this error.

MikeD
8 - Asteroid

I've had this happen multiple times

What helped:  1) Broke multiple joins into sequential single or multiple joins.  I had 10 large files to join, splitting to 2 joins of 5 each (plus through data) made it work.   2)  Eliminated the data cleansing tool.  This is counterintuitive, but it worked.  Instead, I used a formula tool to do some brute force data cleaning on a few key fields.  3)  Split workflows that have this issue into multiple parts.  For example, bring in the large YXDB file, do a few operations, and write to an interim YXBD.  Repeat with a few other steps.  Limit joins in each subworkflow.

What did not help:  1)  Changing sort-join memory.  2)  Closing or changing the priority of applications on my machine. 

What I was not able to try:  1)  Running the workflow on Alteryx Server.  The workflow and necessary databases were too large to upload easily to server.  It kept timing out or having other issues.

kvr
5 - Atom

I am getting same error while using Render tool, particularly when I select "Replacing Entire path with Group". 

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I had this problem today as well, I worked through all the union tool solutions (there was actually a union with 1 input), but none of that worked.

Disabling output tools meant that the workflow worked perfectly, so I concentrated on that (and emailing Support at the same time).

In the end it was a known problem of writing extended ASCII characters in a V_String fields to a Hyper file (for Tableau) that was causing the error.  I changed all V_String to V_WString and it worked perfectly (although I am worried about the results in Tableau)

It would be great to have this as an error message, it would have saved a ton of time if there was a simple error explaining that extended ASCII in V_String fields can't be written to hyper files.

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid

Quite interesting...I just got this error running a simple workflow from my desktop.

The workflow was pulling a csv file into the Input data tool which in turn was connected to a macro which was using a join/select/formula/dynamicselect tools.

I ran it again (not doing anything to it), and it worked. 

I've ran it a number of times since, and the error has not reappeared.

Labels