Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Hi -

Has anyone encountered this error? We're running Alteryx Designer 9.5 on Windows 7 Desktop. This error is thrown right when the module results the output to an Oracle table .

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile:  Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

Thanks for any help!

Arul

50 REPLIES 50
akshatoz
7 - Meteor

This is a very generic solution :(

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Yeah but I can honestly say that after switching from a 32 to a 64 it has yet to fail again. 

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

I was able to solve the same. One of the datatypes was having a huge length defined on V_Wstring. I changed it to int 64

patricia_beaty
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I have gotten this error, but I do not have an union. I have a dynamic output and if anything there is a join, that I cannot put it as "Join by Record Position." Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

Hi can you validate all the data types and their precision in the joiner tools.

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Ever since I updated my VPN, I have not had an issue with this error.

MikeD
8 - Asteroid

I've had this happen multiple times

What helped:  1) Broke multiple joins into sequential single or multiple joins.  I had 10 large files to join, splitting to 2 joins of 5 each (plus through data) made it work.   2)  Eliminated the data cleansing tool.  This is counterintuitive, but it worked.  Instead, I used a formula tool to do some brute force data cleaning on a few key fields.  3)  Split workflows that have this issue into multiple parts.  For example, bring in the large YXDB file, do a few operations, and write to an interim YXBD.  Repeat with a few other steps.  Limit joins in each subworkflow.

What did not help:  1)  Changing sort-join memory.  2)  Closing or changing the priority of applications on my machine. 

What I was not able to try:  1)  Running the workflow on Alteryx Server.  The workflow and necessary databases were too large to upload easily to server.  It kept timing out or having other issues.

kvr
5 - Atom

I am getting same error while using Render tool, particularly when I select "Replacing Entire path with Group". 

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I had this problem today as well, I worked through all the union tool solutions (there was actually a union with 1 input), but none of that worked.

Disabling output tools meant that the workflow worked perfectly, so I concentrated on that (and emailing Support at the same time).

In the end it was a known problem of writing extended ASCII characters in a V_String fields to a Hyper file (for Tableau) that was causing the error.  I changed all V_String to V_WString and it worked perfectly (although I am worried about the results in Tableau)

It would be great to have this as an error message, it would have saved a ton of time if there was a simple error explaining that extended ASCII in V_String fields can't be written to hyper files.

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid

Quite interesting...I just got this error running a simple workflow from my desktop.

The workflow was pulling a csv file into the Input data tool which in turn was connected to a macro which was using a join/select/formula/dynamicselect tools.

I ran it again (not doing anything to it), and it worked. 

I've ran it a number of times since, and the error has not reappeared.

Labels