This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
I've moved my Alteryx Designer running on Windows 10 in a VMware Fusion virtual Machine from a MacBook Pro to an iMac Pro (just by copying the Windows VM) and suddenly I'm getting only in some of my workflows the following error when trying to write *.hyper files (*.tde outputs seems to work OK):
The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended.
It's really weird because the workflows where running without problems before. BTW I'm the Admin of my Machine, I'm using the following Alteryx's version (because I'm using the Scheduler too, but not for the workflows with the errors):
Alteryx Admin Designer
and my workflows have *xydb inputs that are in a network disk location where I can read/write and my outputs are also in a network disk location where I can read/write.
This error is very similar than the ones to be found in another threads but not quite the same so unfortunately I haven't been able to find any help to tackle it. Can I maybe turn on something to catch more details for the error handling?
I really appreciate any Feedback, since the error is affecting production workflows.
I had this same error (The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended) and here is how I was able to fix it.
The problem started when I changed my output file name in a Render Tool using the text box directly, instead of browsing to the folder and typing in the name. In Alteryx, you have two options for entering your output filename, either by entering the full file path as a string, or by navigating to the folder and typing just the name of the output file, selecting the datatype, and clicking Save. in this case I was outputting a Report to an .xlxs, and had changed the output string directly to the same name as an existing file, desiring the Report Output to overwrite the existing file.
I resolved the problem by navigating to the desired folder using the Disc/Save button, then typing in the box, and the error disappeared. Even overwriting an existing report, I had no error.
I had the same issue since this week. The workflow failed with the error "The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended. " in the scheduled computer.
We didn’t make any changes for this workflow and it has been scheduled in one of our machines for a long time. The interesting thing is that the error existed in our scheduled machine but when I ran the same workflow in another machine, it could work successfully.
We checked the scheduled computer's Disk space and Ram and found they are both good. Finally, the issue was solved yesterday by restarting the original scheduled computer and it works good now with the scheduled computer.
I even contacted Alteryx Support <firstname.lastname@example.org> and I got reply as below:
The file(s) was corrupted in some way for me. So all I did to arrive at this error (to my knowledge):
- renamed the source folder (on drive containing workflow and input files),
- then tried to copy across some alteryx db files to the desktop or another drive,
- got the error: cannot read from source file or disk (i.e. on copy),
- I went back to my workflow (on harddrive) trying to recreate the db files and I tried reselecting input/output destination files (all stored on hard drive) in the workflow (also stored on harddrive)
- On running the workflow, it wouldn't run and the error : Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended, started popping up
So basically I had to recreate all my input(source) files (i.e. for the main workflow - the one which produces the desired alteryx db which I needed to copy across) as alteryx db's (i.e. .yxdb files):
1. Make sure you do a record count and field count before you do this to ensure data is complete before and after.
2. Data cleanse right before the output to alteryx db on all the input files you are preparing for the main workflow.
3. You can place a browse tool just before the output just so you can see the quality of the data and see if the results are as desired (if not you can add a select tool near the end and select/deselect fields, change type which may improve quality, desired results, etc. - you want to aim for fairly green results).
4. Save(Output as .yxdb files) all these input files on the drive/location with your main workflow.
5. Backup to more than one location - backup the alteryx db(s) that could not be read/copied to a few locations as well as the inputs to recreate these.
6. Rerun your main workflow (i.e. from drive) using all these newly created input files.
7. The output of your main workflow will now copy to wherever you need it to and this error should not appear, when you run the workflow again - if it does try a backup copy of the file(s) or recreate the file using
the inputs or backups thereof.
Maybe a bit of a simple strategy but it works. I really have no clue as to why the error appears but I hope this helps.