Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended.

ftorres
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone,

I've moved my Alteryx Designer running on Windows 10 in a VMware Fusion virtual Machine from a MacBook Pro to an iMac Pro (just by copying the Windows VM) and suddenly I'm getting only in some of my workflows the following error when trying to write *.hyper files (*.tde outputs seems to work OK):

The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended.

It's really weird because the workflows where running without problems before. BTW I'm the Admin of my Machine, I'm using the following Alteryx's version (because I'm using the Scheduler too, but not for the workflows with the errors):

Alteryx Admin Designer

Version 2018.4.5.55178

Running Non-Elevated

and my workflows have *xydb inputs that are in a network disk location where I can read/write and my outputs are also in a network disk location where I can read/write.

This error is very similar than the ones to be found in another threads but not quite the same so unfortunately I haven't been able to find any help to tackle it. Can I maybe turn on something to catch more details for the error handling?

I really appreciate any Feedback, since the error is affecting production workflows.

Thanks in advance!

Felipe

37 REPLIES 37
sk1909
8 - Asteroid

I didn't save it when I found it.  I know I liked it, but now I can't find it.  Sorry!

sk1909
8 - Asteroid

Jackie7890

Atom

‎04-17-2019 11:22 AM

I had this same error (The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended) and here is how I was able to fix it.

The problem started when I changed my output file name in a Render Tool using the text box directly, instead of browsing to the folder and typing in the name. In Alteryx, you have two options for entering your output filename, either by entering the full file path as a string, or by navigating to the folder and typing just the name of the output file, selecting the datatype, and clicking Save. in this case I was outputting a Report to an .xlxs, and had changed the output string directly to the same name as an existing file, desiring the Report Output to overwrite the existing file.

I resolved the problem by navigating to the desired folder using the Disc/Save button, then typing in the box, and the error disappeared. Even overwriting an existing report, I had no error.

I hope that helps!

OscarGeorge
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I also had this error occur several times with a longstanding workflow that i hadn't changed. 

It was due to local hardrive not having enough space, once i'd cleared a few files it ran fine. 

Hope this saves someone the time i spent trying everything else first!!

Oscar 

Robert_Blackey
7 - Meteor

Good find! I'm not sure I would have ever thought to look at that!  Another cause for this elusive error 🙂

alyssa_sedai
8 - Asteroid

I am having this issue too.  All the columns I have are either String or Int64

zmyrenee
6 - Meteoroid

I had the same issue since this week. The workflow failed with the error "The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult:  The pipe has been ended. " in the scheduled computer. 

We didn’t make any changes for this workflow and it has been scheduled in one of our machines for a long time. The interesting thing is that the error existed in our scheduled machine but when I ran the same workflow in another machine, it could work successfully.

We checked the scheduled computer's Disk space and Ram and found they are both good. Finally, the issue was solved yesterday by restarting the original scheduled computer and it works good now with the scheduled computer.

I even contacted Alteryx Support <support@alteryx.com> and I got reply as below:

"Take a look at the following article and follow the instructions as replied by other users:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/The-Designer-x64-reported-InboundNamed...

If you still have issues after reviewing the article above then we will need to do some more further investigation.
Please provide the following:

• Screenshot of Alteryx Server version - (Help - About)
  • copy of the workflow
  • RuntimeSettings.xml File - C:\ProgramData\Alteryx
  • System Info - Start menu > search 'System info' > File > Save*
  • Service logs - C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service (only logs of the day the job ran)
  • Gallery logs - C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Gallery\Logs (only logs of the day the job ran)
  • System Info - Start menu > search 'System info' > File > Save* "

Thanks for the instructions here! I shared my experience and hope it could help. 

SirArthur
5 - Atom

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop by and add my "solution" to the same situation you're all having.

Apparently one of the input files was corrupted. What I did was identify input by input which one triggered the error, and then proceeded to obtain a fresh new file from its original source.

This might just be one of several reasons why this error pops up, but I figured I might as well throw my solution here.

Best of luck everyone.

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Jackie7890 Could you please show a simple example of your solution? 

acowpy
8 - Asteroid

I was getting this error during a scheduled daily workflow that:

- Load a lot of data into memory

- Used the download tool to download more data from an API

- Combined both and wrote to file

At first I thought it was a HTTP issue given all the API calls the workflow was making, but it seems to be memory (RAM) related.

I upgraded the machine from 16GB to 32GB RAM and have not had the issue since

tk123
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

The file(s) was corrupted in some way for me. So all I did to arrive at this error (to my knowledge):

- renamed the source folder (on drive containing workflow and input files),

- then tried to copy across some alteryx db files to the desktop or another drive,

- got the error : cannot read from source file or disk (i.e. on copy),

- I went back to my workflow (on harddrive) trying to recreate the db files and I tried reselecting
input/output destination files (all stored on hard drive) in the workflow (also stored on harddrive)

- On running the workflow, it wouldn't run and the error : Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe
GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended, started popping up

So basically I had to recreate all my input(source) files (i.e. for the main workflow - the one which produces the desired alteryx db which I needed to copy across) as alteryx db's (i.e. .yxdb files):

1. Make sure you do a record count and field count before you do this to ensure data is complete before and after.

2. Data cleanse right before the output to alteryx db  on all the input files you are preparing for the
main workflow.

3. You can place a browse tool just before the output just so you can see the quality of the data and see if the
results are as desired (if not you can add a select tool near the end and select/deselect fields, change type
which may improve quality, desired results, etc. - you want to aim for fairly green results).

4. Save(Output as .yxdb files) all these input files on the drive/location with your main workflow.

5. Backup to more than one location - backup the alteryx db(s) that could not be read/copied to a few locations as well as the inputs to recreate these.

6. Rerun your main workflow (i.e. from drive) using all these newly created input files.

7. The output of your main workflow will now copy to wherever you need it to and this error should not appear, when you run the workflow again - if it does try a backup copy of the file(s) or recreate the file using

the inputs or backups thereof.

Maybe a bit of a simple strategy but it works. I really have no clue as to why the error appears but I hope this helps.

Labels