Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text to coloumns

Jaganmohan
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I need to separate the fields using Text to column tool (\s) - but I am unable to fit the data under exact field names.

If there is no data under the field still its showing right side column data instead showing blank. 

Need exact format like - if we use excel fixed width functionality(alt+d+e+f).

Please Help me on this - Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Is the CSV the "before" look, or the "after" look?  Let us know what the input is, and what you'd expect the output to be.

Jaganmohan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the quick response - I am attaching the excel file which consist 2 sheets (Input & required output).(Please focus on blanks-Those are not adjusting under correct field names).

Please help me on this issue.

DannyS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Jaganmohan ,

the key to this issue is reading in the file to Alteryx properly. My recommendation would be to save the Jag123 Input as a text file (attached), and then read it into Alteryx as a fixed width text file:

DannyS_0-1612812591590.png

From there, you can define the column widths for each column in your text file:

DannyS_1-1612812652103.png

This will do all the hard parsing work for you! And then just use a couple simple prep tools to get to your desired output. I went ahead and attached a workflow that should get you to your solution with these above steps. Please confirm if this solution is useful!

Best,

Danny

Jaganmohan
8 - Asteroid

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your support - Perfect.

Is there any alternative instead going with txt file - looking to convert same csv input  file to mentioned output.

Labels