Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Text to Columns with a Twist

RobertRath
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have a data set which includes a data output from an external source (Bloomberg) where a series of advisors are listed out in a single cell and are also separated by "#N/A N/A" delimiters.  Please see column R on the "Loans" tab.

You will note that the source data includes advisor type in CAPS.  These include:  

AGNT Agent(s)
BOOK Book Runner(s)
CLAR Co-Lead Arranger(s)
DOC Documentation Agent(s)
FULLLE LNDR Lender(s)
JOBO Joint-Bookrunners
LDAR Lead Arranger(s)
LGAB Legal Advisor(s) to Borrower
LGAL Legal Advisor(s) to Lender
LNDR Lender(s)
MAAR Mandated Arranger(s)
PART Participant(s)
SPNR Private Equity Sponsor(s)
SYND Syndication Agent(s)

I am looking to create a series of columns that summarize the advisor information available by target company.  For example, I am looking for Columns to read 3 deep such as: AGNT 1, AGNT 2, AGNT 3, BOOK 1, BOOK 2, BOOK 3, etc as shown in the "End Goal" tab).

While I have used Excel to break the text to columns (as shown in tabs "Step 3" and "Step 4"), I cannot successfully implement via Join/Union functions.

Can anyone kindly provide some assistance with this task?  

THANK YOU for your consideration as well - happy to elaborate as needed.

Regards,

Bob

5 REPLIES 5
dougperez
12 - Quasar

Try to break with "Tokenize" using regex (with the delimiter #N/A N/A) 

RobertRath
5 - Atom

Thank you Doug.

I have already broken the data into columns in Excel with delimiters - but I cannot "combine" the two sets (aka tabs "Step 3 Identify Role" and "Step 4 Remove Excess".

Essentially I am looking to populate columns with headers based on the advisor categories (AGNT 1, AGNT 2, AGNT 3, etc.)

Thank you for the quick response as well.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I had some flashbacks to a previous life and had a bit of fun making this.... I am fairly sure this is either what you want or quite close to it.

.2021-07-19 (1).png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I also can't promise that the final product is as readable as you may want it to be... I mean there's one loan with a syndicate of like 72 lenders so that's going to look like a mess when you pivot it. So here's the Mike Bloomberg Trio version...

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Hi! can you check out my second worfklow and let me know if it answers your question. If so - please mark it as a solution.

Labels