Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text to Columns (Split to Rows) Issue

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone, 

Is the limit for the text to columns tool 13 rows when I select a field to split and split to rows? The field I want to spilt has 24 values but after using the text to columns tool, it only displays 13 rows when it should display 24. Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Can you double-check that the delimiter is consistent throughout?

I just ran a really quick test on a field with a space delimiter (and a lot of spaces), and it split to 70 rows appropriately without issue.

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@ClajeI noticed that the csv file with the data only goes up to 13 for the field I want to split, but when I open it in excel, it goes to 24. Is this because it is a csv file?

Claje
14 - Magnetar

It does seem like there's some discrepancy with the CSV file based on your description.  If you save it as another format, like an excel workbook, does the Text to Columns tool work as expected?

How long is the field that you are trying to split out?  The default CSV field length is 254 characters, so if your field is very long it could be getting cut off?

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@ClajeYes, I changed it to an xlsx file and it works. It must have been getting cut off under csv format. Thanks!

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can change the default length of the .csv in the input tool, so no need to convert your file every time (field length, you can set it to say, 1000 chars).

Ben

Labels