Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text box tool doesn't update filter value in analytical app

hning003
7 - Meteor

Dear Alteryx Community,

I am reaching out after researching on this topic but not able to resolve my issue.

To simplify the question a bit more and avoid disclosing sensitive data, I'm building an app that would allow the user to key in an ID number and see the results related to this specific ID. I have set up the regular workflow (with ID_001 in place) and it works fine. However, when I tried to run it as an app with a different ID number (ID_002), I am still seeing data related to the original filter value in the workflow (ID_001). I suspected that I might have too much data but cutting it down to <100 rows still didn't help. Would really appreciate your help on this!

hning003_0-1597071651997.png

6 REPLIES 6
wwatson
12 - Quasar

I think your app is working:

To test it you need to use the run as app icon not the Run button:

wwatson_0-1597072680819.png

wwatson_1-1597072766117.png

hning003
7 - Meteor

Hi wwatson,

Thanks for your quick response. I have tried to run the app the way you suggested as well as just clicking on the app, but my output file did not change at all. Any thoughts?

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @hning003 

I made a slight adjustment to the Action Tool, and it seems to be working for me. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

JustinBabbitt_0-1597074500953.png

Justin Babbitt
hning003
7 - Meteor

@JustinBabbitt thanks this actually worked!

Do you mind also explain what's the difference between updating an expression vs oprands and best practices on the choice?

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

Updating the expression would wipe out the entire "[This] = 1234" and replace it with the user input. 

Updating the operand makes sure that you are only updating that variable value. 

Unless I plan to overwrite the full expression I avoid using that option. I also avoid overwriting a specific string, because sometimes what is in the Filter Tool gets changed when testing, but the Action is still looking for a value that isn't there anymore. 

Hope that helps! 

Justin Babbitt
hning003
7 - Meteor

Thanks @JustinBabbitt - also realized that while I was updating my actual workflow, some data wasn't updated and I managed to fix it by only applying basic filters (the button needs to be selected). Not sure why that was the case since the example from the interactive lesson worked fine with a custom filter.

Labels