Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text Box and Action not linking to Input Data

DavidAngevine
7 - Meteor

My text box is connected to the Action, but I cannot get the Action to link to a T/F filter or directly to a Data Input.

I have created an example with a .xlsx file but will also need to do this with a SQL connection to an ODBC connection.

I would like to make the Text input select one or more rows of data from a user input via this workflow.

Please advise how to make this work.   Note - the START_DT and END_DT actions do work with my Data input from SQL but the Text input does not.

4 REPLIES 4
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @DavidAngevine,

In the Action Tool, you need to select which element to Update. Also as you are replacing the text in-between the quotes, no need to include the single quotes.

App_-_Action.png

Finally, in order to get the output to show up, tick the relevant Browse in the Interface Designer Properties.

App_-_Interface_Designer.png

Kane

DavidAngevine
7 - Meteor

@KaneG - Thanks for your reply.   I am still not able to get this to work.   I changed the Action (actually deleted it and re-started) and named the output NPI_String5.  I used Update Value with Formula and now have Simple with same field value as you created.   However, the Operand does not look same as yours.   Even though the Action is linked to the T/F filter, I still do not get 1 record in the T output after the filter.   My expectation is to get 1 record from the default of A316B.

Can you tell me why that does not work?

Lastly, you showed the Interface Designer Properties and I cannot get that to show up.   It could be that I am operating on an old version of Alteryx (11.5.1.31573) but I do not think that would matter.   I do not see the checkbox for Success or the other components that you show.   Please explain to me how I get to those properties.

David

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @DavidAngevine,

When I opened your module, the operand in the Action tool wasn't selected again. The heading 'FILTER_NPI_11' was selected and you have underscores around the text string in the Replace formula that don't exist in the Filter text, so nothing will get replaced in the filter.

Take a look at the attached to see it working.

Note: If you can't see the interface designer, then go to 'View > Interface Designer' and then select the Cog to see the properties. From the interface designer, you can also select the 'Wand' on the left and then 'Open Debug' to assist in troubleshooting the issue.

Kane

DavidAngevine
7 - Meteor

Kane - this worked.   Thank you for your clear explanation.  I was unaware of the subtle "power" of the Action box and the need to highlight or select the Operand line in the Action box.   After I did that, and made sure that the double__ was around both the output from Replace ([Destination],"__CHAR5__",(LEFT,([CHAR5]),5))) and the Filter icon - all worked.   Thank you for your quick help and for explaining how to view the Interface Designer.

David

Labels