Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Testing RegEx Formulas

Jon-Knepper
8 - Asteroid

I have always found it easier to use resources like https://regex101.com/ to test my Regex formulas rather than putting it straight into Alteryx and running the workflow.

Is this the best resource or are there others that are better suited that translate better to Alteryx.

Thank you for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Jon-Knepper 

I see regex101 mentioned frequently here. I'm also aware of https://regexr.com/

CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Jon-Knepper regex101 is my preferred testing site :)

Carli
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Jon-Knepper ,

While I do use other sites (above), I do like using the FORMULA tool with data already present.  Only record #1 is visible, but it often is a great start to the configuration process.  I can readily see where my regex_replace() function is going to lead me (note:  always have RESULTS window open and looking at INPUT data).  Often you're using Replace/Match functions and this isn't so easy to translate with the other sites.

As an example, I will write:  Regex_Replace([Field],"",'$1') and then start my "" formula.

immediately I can see if group1 is correct.  As I modify the formula, the results pane in formula updates with what will happen with a "RUN".  I don't have to run it, I see the answer from what's in memory.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Jon-Knepper
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew 

This is a great idea.  I believe I have had a little trouble with this where the results didn't always update until I exited the formula and came back to it.  I agree that this would help bridge the gap between the syntax that Alteryx uses and other sites.

Thank you for providing this insight!

Labels