Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Test the date field is correct

Sammy22
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

i have various excel inputs coming into my workflow which i union into one dataset. Each file will have a date field but sometimes the formats will not be automatically set as date so need to be adjusted. I want a test on the dataset after the union to flag any rows where the date format is not correct. Is there a good way of doing this?

even one incorrect date format will cause issues later in the model.

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sammy22 

One very easy way to do this is to use a Select tool and change the datatype to Date - any rows with incorrect format will be converted to Null.

You can use the same idea in a formula tool and create a new field called datetest and use the formula Todate([Date]) - any incorrect formats will be converted to null.

If you want to follow a more complicated route, you can use a regex match formula like: regexmatch([Date],'\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2})

vlad_kutateladze
8 - Asteroid

If date type field will be union with string type as one field, the whole field will become a string, all rows will be the same and you can just apply DateTime tool for this field and convert string to date format.

Labels