Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Temporary Device License Transfer Tips?

iCFO
9 - Comet

I created an idea to ask them to fix the device license issues and hassle, but I would love some tips if anyone has found ways around the pitfalls of temporary license transfers between devices for the same licensed user...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Allow-license-install-on-secondary-devices/i...

I find myself needing to switch between my dual computer setup on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. My office desktop is far more powerful and is my primary Alteryx device in the office, but it is also regularly unavailable because of other software loads or rendering jobs that can run up to 5 hours. That can push my Alteryx work to the laptop for portions of the day while in the office. I also work with Alteryx on my laptop at home pretty much every night of the week. On top of that, it is also unpredictable as to whether I will be working from home or from the office on any given day due to the impact of Covid.

I have tried constantly revoking and transferring licensing through the portal, but it is clunky and often unavailable or fails... I have tried attempting to be diligent about deactivating licenses on devices in order to simplify temporary license transfers, but that is a constant hassle which requires device access and still periodically fails... The only life saver for me has been the ability to resort to temporary "demo" installs in order to work. (Which is an absurd workaround for a 4-5k per year licensed software user) Has anyone figured out how to do smooth temporary license transfers? If so, please walk me through it. I end up wasting hours every week that I don't have just trying to dance around this system and use my licensed and paid software on the device available to me.

4 REPLIES 4
DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @iCFO 

As you are aware, licenses are defined per user and per machine - it is understandable this may cause difficulty as you regularly swap devices. 

I would suggest you reach out to your account director for guidance on licensing permissions, they may be able to grant you a right to install on multiple machines based on your circumstances.

Thanks,

David Thorpe

Sales Engineering

iCFO
9 - Comet

I wish that I had known about this option a long time ago! Support reached out to me as well, and they are in the process of getting approval for setting me up with dual device installation. I am a crazed Alteryx user and advocate. The license transfer hassle was my only real complaint on an otherwise stellar software solution for my business. Hopefully this helps other frustratedusers in the future who are juggling a dual computer setup with Alteryx as well.

DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks for your advocacy @iCFO! Great to hear this is getting resolved and appreciate you feeding back your findings from support.

David Thorpe

Sales Engineering

iCFO
9 - Comet

Unfortunately it is 2 months later and this is still not resolved. I was receiving update emails that it was being taken care of, but no reply to my inquiry on a time frame that was sent almost 2 weeks ago...  This issue has forced me to shift newer automation projects and our internal software development over to another platform in order to keep up with my workload. I encourage other users with similar difficulties to start this dual device installation approval process early before the workload issues become too overwhelming to manage.

Labels