Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tableau packaged workbook (twbx) metadata loader

Gourab
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

We have created a process whereby an Alteryx app publishes a packaged workbook on to out Tableau Online Site.

We are able to upload the Tableau Online metadata which shows the packaged workbook details in Alteryx Connect.

We have also uploaded the metadata for the Alteryx workflow that did the publishing on Tableau Online. This used Tabcmd (tableau's native commandline). However, the nexus diagram in Connect is not showing any relationship between the Alteryx publishing workflow and the Tableau Online report. Is this not possible or am I doing something wrong?

Kind regards,

Gourab

4 REPLIES 4
OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @Gourab ,

currently we do support "Publish to Tableau Server Tool" for harvesting lineage information between AYX Workflow and Tableau (online).

Could you pls provide more detailed example how your workflow looks like and where exactly are you storing connection information for Tableau?

thank you,

Ondrej

Connect Team

Gourab
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Ondrej,

As I understand correctly, the component supported by alteryx i.e Publish to Tableau Server does not publish Tableau workbook (.twb or .twbx) which is what we are trying to publish. Is that right?

Kind regards,
Gourab

Gourab
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Ondrej,

I managed to upload the twbx workbook on Tableau online using the Publish Tableau workbook in Alteryx 2018.4 through our Private Gallery.

However, when I have loaded the metadata for the Alteryx Workflow and the Tableau online report on Alteryx Connect, the lineage for the report does not get displayed. I have reindexed (selectively the workflows and reports) Connect post uploading the metadata for the Tableau Report and the Alteryx publishing workflow. Not sure what else I can do.

Kind regards,

Gourab

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Gourab ,

if you mean this macro https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-Tableau-Workbook/5ac4ee90826fd32cec14ef68 this is not currently supported for parsing the connection parameters into Connect.

If you are looking on the mentioned macro, from the metadata perspective it's not ideal:

<Configuration>
  <Value name="Text Box (59)">C:\Users\Ben Moss\Documents\Alteryx Projects\Upload Tableau Workbook\Superstore Analysis.twb</Value>
  <Value name="Text Box (78)">Example Workbook</Value>
  <Value name="Check Box (63)">True</Value>
  <Value name="Text Box (37)">https:\\tableau.mycompany.com</Value>
  <Value name="Text Box (39)">Default</Value>
  <Value name="Text Box (46)">Default</Value>
  <Value name="Text Box (41)" />
  <Value name="Text Box (43)" />
</Configuration>

We are currently supporting official Publish to Server tools instead.

Ondrej

Labels