Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Tableau TWB Audit Workflow - Sharing and Asking for Input

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I set up a workflow to audit a Tableau .twb file.  I got the idea after reading this post but found that that macro didn't quite get me the output I was looking for.  Being new to XML and RegEx, this current version took me quite a few brain cycles and I suspect there are multiple ways to improve it, which is why I'm attaching it here.  It works, but there may be ways to arrive at the same (or better) results with fewer or more robust/elegant steps. :-)

What it does:

• Reads in a .twb file
  • Identifies all fields used in the workbook
  • Cycles each calculated field through an iterative macro that replaces generic field name references like [Calculation_0021112080235996] with the actual field name, which makes for much easier reading and auditing.
  • Joins the fields with a list of all worksheets that use them
  • Outputs the data to a TDE for exploration

What it doesn't do (yet):

• I can't figure out how to identify fields in the XML that are only associated to a worksheet because of an Action filter remnant.  This isn't a huge deal, but I've noticed that some fields are linked to a worksheet simply because at one point an action filter with that field was applied to that sheet and that action filter remained on the filter shelf.
  • Process more than one .twb file (so that I can check across workbooks whether the same fields and calculations are used).  I suspect this is just a matter of turning this into a macro that leverages a Directory tool to pull in all .twb files in a particular folder.  That, or an iterative macro that allows you to specify exactly which .twb files you want to feed in.

If this module works for as-is, feel free to use it.  If there are things I can do to it to make it run better/easier, I'm open to all feedback. :-)

twb audit.png

24 REPLIES 24
vishwakar
8 - Asteroid

HI @mix_pix and @moshin

I have added alot more information as said earlier was able to figure out the dashboard -worksheets relation and many more , I will be uploading the workflow once testing is completed.

Thanks

Karthik

mohsin
7 - Meteor

Can wait to try it out.

(And feel really ba mooching off your hardwork. I will contribute promise)

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

It's called community. :-)  We all mooch off of each other...

Tharashasank
8 - Asteroid

HI, ,

This was really useful. I am using  this workflow to audit my workbooks.Really a cool idea, Thanks to Michael Mixon 

JJ1
5 - Atom

Hi -

this is great and exactly what we were looking for to audit workbooks.  I am completely new to Alteryx.  When I try to run the app I get an error message (74): The entry point is invalid.

Thanks!

JJ

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Hi JJ,

Tool 74 is the Tableau Calc Clean-up macro.  What do you see when you go to Workflow Dependencies?  I wonder if perhaps the macro didn't get imported correctly when you downloaded the workflow.

How to get to workflow dependenciesHow to get to workflow dependencies

tool 74.png

jusdespommes
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

If still needed - I've fixed this application - albeit as a batch macro now to work through a bunch of twbs!

All the best,

Alex :)

jusdespommes
8 - Asteroid

And rerefixed - thanks for letting me know, Lorna. Let me know if it's not ok, please?

Props to David Sanchez Martin who tweaked this to get it going again!

Alex :)

sann0638
8 - Asteroid

Great tool, thanks - is it possible to identify hierarchies and folders from the xml?

ThizViz
11 - Bolide

You are my heroes.

@thizviz aka cbridges, Bolide
http://community.alteryx.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2328
Labels