Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Tableau Publish Tool: Updates for Tableau 10.5 and new Hyper Data Engine (TDE)

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @eric_ramos,

There is a plan to have the output tool write to a .hyper file! We're planning on having this functionality in our Q1 release (currently scheduled for late Feb).

Best,

Alex

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Since the Tableau online upgrade to 10.5 yesterday, we're having trouble to refresh out data sources based on Alteryx-generated TDE's.

Using Desktop 10.4.2 the manual publish works, but subsequent refresh using Tableau Bridge fails.

Anybody with the same problem ?

Alternatively, any advice is welcome :)

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I observed that Alteryx-generated TDE's (via Tableau Server Publish Tool) are now writing to the .hyper format.  To determine if a data source is now .hyper, drill to Data Source details and Connection type will be be 'Hyper'. 

Advice: You will need to use Alteryx, not the 10.4.2 Bridge to refresh until 10.5 Bridge is available.  The 10.4.2 Bridge only processes in .tde format and if the extract is already hyper, this process will fail. 

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Thanks

What is do is output to TDE (so not using the publish to tableau tool), then use that TDE with Tableau Desktop 10.4.2  (to create the hierarchies, calculated fields etc), and publish that to Tableau Online, followed by a scheduled refresh by Tableau Bridge.

I've checked that, after publishing the data source in tableau online still says "Tableau Data Engine" (see screenshot below)

Subsequently I tried to refreshing using Tableau bridge, but that fails (although I'm only getting "unknown error" messages).

I notice your advice to publish the TDE directly using Alteryx but in my experience I cannot use that TDE, now living in Tableau Online, as the basis for creating a data source on top of that TDE - or can I ? (Yes, I realize these questions fit as well in a Tableau as an Alteryx forum)

Capture2.PNG

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hello @ARich by any chance do you have updates on when the new release of Alteryx will be out so I can take advantage of the output tool write to .hyper file? 

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @eric_ramos,

This was released last week. Alteryx 18.1 can be found on our Downloads page and the new Publish to Tableau Server macro can be found in the Gallery! 

Best,

Alex

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Thanks @ARich ! I just downloaded the Alteryx 2018.1 and now see the .hyper output file type in the "data output" tool. Thanks a lot! 

Labels