Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Tableau Output Tool Personal Access Token

bobokoko1
7 - Meteor

I recently just download the Tableau Prep tool as I heard it has a personal access token. I was able to create a token name and token secret in our Tableau Server. I wanted to try this because every 90 days our company makes us change our password which makes me have to go into each workflow and change the Publish to Tableau server tool passwords. The Tableau Output tool connect fine and was able to publish, but after I close my workflow and re-open the token secret seems to be duplicating or something, but there are a lot more characters in the token secret which causes it to not sign in. I have to re-paste the token secret for it to work. I also tried to schedule my workflow on desktop scheduler and I get error when it tried to run.

Error: Tool #23: Tool #6: Tool #202: The plugin "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\plugins\AlteryxSpatialPluginsEngine.dll" could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found. (126)

I know this is a new tool, but wondering if I am doing something wrong or if this a glitch? We don't have Alteryx server which is why we have a desktop scheduler. Or if there is another option out there to have the password change in all workflows without having to re-save them?

Thank You 

3 REPLIES 3
ConnorClark
6 - Meteoroid

On the Token name and Secret issue, I have spoken to a support engineer and been informed "this is expected behaviour" for the tool and we should copy the token every time we open the workflow in a different designer instance. I have also had an issue where all of the credentials are forgotten and I have to remake the whole tool.

This turned out to be the least of my worries as the tool has been so far completely unable to handle more than a few MBs of data without crashing. 

bobokoko1
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your response, it looks like it has a lot of issues. Its odd that it is design to change when it opens a new Alteryx window. Trying to schedule on a desktop scheduler license doesn't work at all. It seems to always error out like it can't find where the macro is saved. Ill go back to what I was doing before with the Publish to Server tool and keep changing the passwords every 90 days. I'm hoping in the future they figure out how to get windows credentials option like they do with connecting to data sources. I'm trying to use less of that tool and more saving it to a data base where Tableau can access it. 

bobokoko1
7 - Meteor

I also tried to go into the publish to tableau server macro and see if I could set the default text for the interface password to my new password so I would only have to change it ones, but it doesn't seem show up when I bring in the tool to the canvas after I save the changes. Has anybody else tried this? I may be looking at the wrong part of the macro to change. 

Labels